MD or PHD? Most tops of organizations MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holabuster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm a college senior, and I know that I want to pursue Global Health as a career. I'm interested in health policy, epidemiology, and program management, but as of now, I'm not sure what track would really suit me best and what would interest me the most. I know for sure I will pursue an MPH, but beyond that, I am not certain.

I was originally not interested in medical school, because I read that I should only do it if I wanted to practice clinically. While this interests me somewhat, I see myself doing more work on a higher and broader scale. Clinical practice would be for supplemental income.

I originally wanted to do a PHD or DrPH, but after I looked at the profiles of the directors and presidents of many health organizations and bodies both in the US and globally, I noticed that the tops of these organizations are mostly MDs. Considering a PHD takes about 6 years, and med school would be about the same length of time, I am starting to think getting an MD would be better.

I have taken all of my premed classes except for two, but have not taken the MCAT. Whether I pursue a PHD or MD, I will be taking a year or two off to work after I graduate in May.

What do you guys think of the MD vs PHD debate?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, everyone. I'm a college senior, and I know that I want to pursue Global Health as a career. I'm interested in health policy, epidemiology, and program management, but as of now, I'm not sure what track would really suit me best and what would interest me the most. I know for sure I will pursue an MPH, but beyond that, I am not certain.

I was originally not interested in medical school, because I read that I should only do it if I wanted to practice clinically. While this interests me somewhat, I see myself doing more work on a higher and broader scale. Clinical practice would be for supplemental income.

I originally wanted to do a PHD or DrPH, but after I looked at the profiles of the directors and presidents of many health organizations and bodies both in the US and globally, I noticed that the tops of these organizations are mostly MDs. Considering a PHD takes about 6 years, and med school would be about the same length of time, I am starting to think getting an MD would be better.

I have taken all of my premed classes except for two, but have not taken the MCAT. Whether I pursue a PHD or MD, I will be taking a year or two off to work after I graduate in May.

What do you guys think of the MD vs PHD debate?

Hey, I'm an MPHer who will start an MD in the fall, having taken 2 years off between college and MPH and then 3 years for MPH + Postbac + working.

Many heads are MDs, but an increasing number are PhD or DrPH. However, DrPH still isn't a very know degree outside of public health...I cannot tell you have many doctors have stared blankly at me on interview days when I mentioned a DrPH. I think that the MD dominance may shift in some sectors. I would try to identify exactly what type of public health/medical organization you'd be interested in starting, and then try to do more research and informational interviewing in that sector.

MD is definitely not only for those who want to practice clinically, especially considering there's a whole MD/PhD set who will have the option of spending their time in labs. However, definitely don't pursue an MD if you think you're not interested in medical science and clinical practice, because those 7+ years of training will be quite a burden if you're not passionate about those aspects of medicine. I ultimately decided to the the MD because I love that doctors are able to work in medicine and public health realms, and I'm passionate about both. Good luck!

Premad, what did you do in your two years between college and MPH? I agree that there may be more PhDs in top positions now than before, though from my research, they still appear to be the minority by far. Both my parents, my brother, several uncles, cousins, and grandparents were all doctors, so medicine is in my blood. While I would really enjoy being a doctor and handling new cases every day, my heart is in work at a population level. Ideally, I could do some of both?

I decided I'll take two years off and take the MCAT and my two remaining premed classes in the meantime, then apply for an MPH program. After those years, I should have a better idea of whether or not I want to do an MD, but as of now, I'm leaning towards it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premad, what did you do in your two years between college and MPH? I agree that there may be more PhDs in top positions now than before, though from my research, they still appear to be the minority by far. Both my parents, my brother, several uncles, cousins, and grandparents were all doctors, so medicine is in my blood. While I would really enjoy being a doctor and handling new cases every day, my heart is in work at a population level. Ideally, I could do some of both?

I decided I'll take two years off and take the MCAT and my two remaining premed classes in the meantime, then apply for an MPH program. After those years, I should have a better idea of whether or not I want to do an MD, but as of now, I'm leaning towards it.

I did mental health policy research for two years, mostly focused on evidence-based practices and cultural competence. Only marginally related to what I do now, which is international HIV program support.

If your heart's work is truly at the population level, it seems like an MD really isn't ideal. There are certainly good opportunities to do both clinical practice and public health program implementation and/or research with an MD. But, if you want to do population health only, and have an MD only as sort of a 'trump card' credential (not saying that this is what you're envisioning), don't do it. It sounds like you're really thinking everything through carefully, and I'm sure you'll come up with the right choice during your time off! Also, if you have any questions about MPH programs, I have lots of opinions about those as well. :)

Hmmm...interesting. In another forum on this board, a person asked a similar question, and it appeared that for work in the WHO, an MD is very favorable, and this organization is very appealing to me.

I'm currently applying for different jobs, fellowships, and internships that have to do with public health. I would love to do work in health policy research! How did you get your research position? What was your path to it, and what else did you consider? Do you have any suggestions for good things to do to get experience in public health work and how to go about getting into them?

Sorry for necroing such an old thread, but I'm trying to make a decision very similar to the one the OP had to make and I'm curious as to what they ended up doing and what pushed them one way.

I see from your profile that you ended up going the MD route. What was the deciding factor for you? Did you end up doing an MPH too plus gap years?