MD or PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papillonparade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Cross-posted in the psych forums.

So I applied this year for clinical psychology PhD programs and no interviews, nothing. I currently work as a research assistant and have been slowly realizing how difficult it is to get an internship or a research job with a PhD. I'm starting to wonder if an MD (psychiatry) wouldn't be a better option. I actually think my chances of getting into med school would be much better, as I have experience in several specialties (neuroscience, infectious diseases, and rehabilitation/physical therapy) and virtually no pure psychology experience.

I am very torn between research and clinical work and have not been able to decide after several years of trying to pick. The reason I would like to get either an MD or a PhD is it would give me the flexibility to go into either research or clinical work (or, preferably, do clinical work for research applications). It could just be where I work or my field, but it seems that MD's generally have an easier time getting funding for grants than the PhD's.

I'm just wondering if a psychiatrist can't basically do everything a clinical psychologist can do and then some, plus they get paid more/better job security. Any thoughts? Pros and cons of each? It would involve getting all pre-med courses done while working full-time, so I wouldn't be able to apply for another few years to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not extremely familiar with PhD in psychology admissions processes so I can't comment on that or differences between psychology and psychiatry, but I believe the average GPA is actually higher for Medical School admissions. Also, you'll have to take the MCAT instead of the GRE. If you do consider the MD route, make sure your numbers are in line with averages of medical schools before applying.

Answer: MD/PhD

fBoVoXh.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed that you should make sure your GPA is decent before you decide to take pre-req's and study for the MCAT. Aim for a 3.7+ and that GPA includes ALL classes you've taken including masters.

I'm biased as a pre-med, so I would say definitely go for the MD as there are many research opportunities and you essentially get the best of both worlds. But you should ask yourself if you genuinely are interested in studying the human body-- not just the brain; and also that you like working/helping people since that is your role as a doctor. You should just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into first.

Hi everyone,

Cross-posted in the psych forums.

So I applied this year for clinical psychology PhD programs and no interviews, nothing. I currently work as a research assistant and have been slowly realizing how difficult it is to get an internship or a research job with a PhD. I'm starting to wonder if an MD (psychiatry) wouldn't be a better option. I actually think my chances of getting into med school would be much better, as I have experience in several specialties (neuroscience, infectious diseases, and rehabilitation/physical therapy) and virtually no pure psychology experience.

I am very torn between research and clinical work and have not been able to decide after several years of trying to pick. The reason I would like to get either an MD or a PhD is it would give me the flexibility to go into either research or clinical work (or, preferably, do clinical work for research applications). It could just be where I work or my field, but it seems that MD's generally have an easier time getting funding for grants than the PhD's.

I'm just wondering if a psychiatrist can't basically do everything a clinical psychologist can do and then some, plus they get paid more/better job security. Any thoughts? Pros and cons of each? It would involve getting all pre-med courses done while working full-time, so I wouldn't be able to apply for another few years to med school.

I started on the path for clinical psych. After working in a research lab I realized how I wouldn't want the lifestyle. Swapped to pre-med my 3rd year and am sitting on a few acceptances. If you like therapy, you can do it as a psychiatrist, its just not as common anymore due to reimbursement issues. I felt it would be easier getting into med school than a decent Clinical Psych Program, especially considering all the fine DO schools you can apply to as well. You just have to take the MCAT- have fun.

Or apply for a PsyD!

Status
Not open for further replies.