Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
-4.0 cGPA, 33S MCAT (12, 9, 12). Not a top 20 school.
3 science majors. Not socially awkward (so I'm told)
-Community college credit has two B's in spanish classes from high school.

Taking 2 years off. Applying this upcoming cycle.

SCIENCE ECs:
-Will have 5 years of research (4 in one lab, 1 year in another prestigious institution by time I am applying. )
-2 first author publications in good journal (impact factor >6) in my first lab. One of the manuscripts received a spotlight award from the journal on first manuscript. Basic science.
-2 second author publications (in a different lab). Basic science with clinical application.
Likely to get 1 co-first author by the middle of the application season.
-Poster at International conference, first author on abstract of plenary speech at another international conference, which was given by mentor.
Other posters, and two podium seminars.

OTHER ECs:
Resident Assistant for 2 years.
Founder of an undergraduate club to discuss science papers

150 hours volunteering at an ED
100 hours shadowing (doctors of different specialties)

Leader of a student public health group for 2 years, and in it for 4 total. Led a huge initiative that successfully changed a policy and founded quite a few new events. Good letter from this.

LORs should be good/outstanding from both PIs and other letters should be unique.

AWARDS:
Got quite a few good awards when I graduated. Recognition on my first article from science community (spotlight award). A few other awards for my public health work. Fully paid for my own undergrad education.

My worries:
Low MCAT score, too few clinical volunteering hours.

Any recommendations on a school list to apply for? I would like to aim high, but I would like a good balance of reach/moderate and safety schools. My friend with great stats only got in one place and was otherwise largely unsuccessful. I'm in the dark on this one. Thanks a lot!

Feb 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Try applying for DO, you have very low chances with that GPA and mcat score for MD

OP
S
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Try applying for DO, you have very low chances with that GPA and mcat score for MD
Dude, that's rather unhelpful. The title says MD/PhD. 33S is considered low for MD/PhD. Thanks though. I'd like a real response.

Filet Mignon
Jan 26, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
With your research experience and gpa, you could pull off an MD/PhD despite your solid but not stellar MCAT. I would say it is definitely worth a shot. Nobody can be sure though because it depends on the person reviewing your application.

May 10, 2012
Middle West
Status
MD/PhD Student
I think you have a good chance, and while a 33 MCAT is on the low-ish end for MD/PhD programs, I think your GPA and research experience make up for it. I don't know how many schools you are aiming for, but if I was in your position, I'd go for ~25.

For example:
Some Top 20 MSTPs: WashU, Penn, Columbia, UChicago, Michigan, Vandy, Pitt, Sinai, Northwestern, UTSW

Some 20-50 MSTP: Baylor, Case, UNC, Virginia, Rochester, Wisconsin, Maryland, Ohio St., Indiana

Some 50+ MSTPs + non-MSTPs: Penn St, UMass, MUSC, SUNY-SB, UConn, UIC, BU

You get the picture. I think if you spread it out a bit, you'll likely to be successful.

Oct 10, 2012
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
I think your great research will more than make up for your mediocre (for MD/PhD) MCAT. Apply broadly, like suggested above.

MD/PhD is completely different, noob. STFU. OP is asking a totally valid question.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
I would honestly be surprised if you didn't get into an MSTP with that experience and GPA. The lack of clinical volunteering is not as important for MD/PhD.

flodhi1

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jan 31, 2011
Status
Medical Student
OP, even though your MCAT is on the slightly low side, if you apply early and broadly you definitely have a shot. You're a strong candidate and even though this might be a stressful time for you let me assure you that MCAT score will NOT stop you from getting accepted.

OP
S
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys. That really helps my confidence and thanks for the school list! Hopefully applying early helps in MD/PhD applications as well.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
2 1st author pubs and 4 years of research under your belt? You're a shoo in somewhere!

BTW, you don't have a 4.0 cGPA if you have two B's. :p Not important, but just an fyi haha.