MD/PhD 4.0 cGPA, 33S chances and a school list needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S100B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-4.0 cGPA, 33S MCAT (12, 9, 12). Not a top 20 school.
3 science majors. Not socially awkward (so I'm told)
-Community college credit has two B's in spanish classes from high school.

Taking 2 years off. Applying this upcoming cycle.

SCIENCE ECs:
-Will have 5 years of research (4 in one lab, 1 year in another prestigious institution by time I am applying. )
-2 first author publications in good journal (impact factor >6) in my first lab. One of the manuscripts received a spotlight award from the journal on first manuscript. Basic science.
-2 second author publications (in a different lab). Basic science with clinical application.
Likely to get 1 co-first author by the middle of the application season.
-Poster at International conference, first author on abstract of plenary speech at another international conference, which was given by mentor.
Other posters, and two podium seminars.

OTHER ECs:
Resident Assistant for 2 years.
Founder of an undergraduate club to discuss science papers

150 hours volunteering at an ED
100 hours shadowing (doctors of different specialties)

Leader of a student public health group for 2 years, and in it for 4 total. Led a huge initiative that successfully changed a policy and founded quite a few new events. Good letter from this.

LORs should be good/outstanding from both PIs and other letters should be unique.

AWARDS:
Got quite a few good awards when I graduated. Recognition on my first article from science community (spotlight award). A few other awards for my public health work. Fully paid for my own undergrad education.

My worries:
Low MCAT score, too few clinical volunteering hours.

Any recommendations on a school list to apply for? I would like to aim high, but I would like a good balance of reach/moderate and safety schools. My friend with great stats only got in one place and was otherwise largely unsuccessful. I'm in the dark on this one. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Try applying for DO, you have very low chances with that GPA and mcat score for MD

Try applying for DO, you have very low chances with that GPA and mcat score for MD

Dude, that's rather unhelpful. The title says MD/PhD. 33S is considered low for MD/PhD. Thanks though. I'd like a real response.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your research experience and gpa, you could pull off an MD/PhD despite your solid but not stellar MCAT. I would say it is definitely worth a shot. Nobody can be sure though because it depends on the person reviewing your application.

I think you have a good chance, and while a 33 MCAT is on the low-ish end for MD/PhD programs, I think your GPA and research experience make up for it. I don't know how many schools you are aiming for, but if I was in your position, I'd go for ~25.

For example:
Some Top 20 MSTPs: WashU, Penn, Columbia, UChicago, Michigan, Vandy, Pitt, Sinai, Northwestern, UTSW

Some 20-50 MSTP: Baylor, Case, UNC, Virginia, Rochester, Wisconsin, Maryland, Ohio St., Indiana

Some 50+ MSTPs + non-MSTPs: Penn St, UMass, MUSC, SUNY-SB, UConn, UIC, BU

You get the picture. I think if you spread it out a bit, you'll likely to be successful.

I lold

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I think your great research will more than make up for your mediocre (for MD/PhD) MCAT. Apply broadly, like suggested above.

MD/PhD is completely different, noob. STFU. OP is asking a totally valid question.

I would honestly be surprised if you didn't get into an MSTP with that experience and GPA. The lack of clinical volunteering is not as important for MD/PhD.

OP, even though your MCAT is on the slightly low side, if you apply early and broadly you definitely have a shot. You're a strong candidate and even though this might be a stressful time for you let me assure you that MCAT score will NOT stop you from getting accepted.

Thanks guys. That really helps my confidence and thanks for the school list! Hopefully applying early helps in MD/PhD applications as well.

2 1st author pubs and 4 years of research under your belt? You're a shoo in somewhere!

BTW, you don't have a 4.0 cGPA if you have two B's. :p Not important, but just an fyi haha.