MD/PhD and post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPhDprospect

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am MD/PhD applicant and need some advice. I am senior Biochemistry major, with a cumulative GPA of 3.95. I have had several research experiences: Washington Univ. med school, U of SC, Penn State College of med, and in between I conducted research at my home institution. I also have presented my research at several national conferences and am a co-author of 2 publications.

I took the MCAT this August and got a 23 O (10 Phy, 7 Bio, 6 Ver).
I really want to join an MD/PhD program, but am afraid that my MCAT score might keep me from my goal.
What options should I consider, being that I am graduating in May 2006 (in 3 years).
I want to have a career in research and medicine.
Also, I am an international student on a student visa; hence I must be enrolled in a full-time degree program all the time in order to remain in the US.

At this point, I am considering applying to PhD programs and have the intention of transferring to an MD/PhD program after completing the first year of PhD. Hopefully I would have got a much better score from the April 2006 MCAT.

Also, I am thinking of applying to some RESEARCH BASED post-bac programs (NOT classes). However, all post-bac programs I found so far are for people missing the prerequisites or having low GPA, none of which applies to me.

I plan to take the April 2006 MCAT and want to join a formal program (required for student visa) to gain more research experience between my graduation in May 2006 and hopefully joining an MD/PhD program in fall 2007.

Please advise as to what would be my best choice, being an MD/PhD applicant.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are currently on an F-1 visa, you can apply for what is known as Optional Practical Training, which allows you to stay in the US for up to 12 months (up to 14 if you swing it right) without being in school. You could then get a job doing whatever research you want to do. Penn's Office of International Programs has some good info on this (url below). Feel free to PM me with questions. I definitely recommend this option if you don't need to boost your GPA (which it looks like you don't) because you get to earn money instead of shelling it out for post-bacc programs, and if you get a job at the right institution you may even be able to take classes for free anyway. AND it's potentially good research experience.

http://www.upenn.edu/oip/iss/visa/f1/opt.html