MD/PhD and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dan0909

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do MD/PhD students with lower USMLE scores have a better chance of landing a particular residency position than an MD with higher stats? I know that MD/PhD students are thought of as being more research career-oriented. Does any of this affect residency?

Members don't see this ad.

The extensive research experience, ability to think critically, and increased overall maturity give MD/PhDs an advantage when applying for residency. USMLE scores are but one aspect of the application... there are many others, including core clerkship grades, the dean's letter, other letters of recommendation, research and other experiences, etc.

I wouldn't go the MD/PhD route simply to increase chances of landing a better residency. There are much more appropriate pathways to that goal.

Some programs do NOT like CDs. These are the more clinically oriented ones. The majority, however, do value the extra degree. The "top end" research programs obviously value it more and will let an average USMLE slide (usually). At the very competitive programs in the most competitive residencies, the PhD is almost required if you're not completely off the charts in other areas.

In other words, it depends, but the PhD usually is a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
:) since when is a phd "almost" REQUIRED for a competitive residency?

my opinion is that the minute you get your PhD and set your foot in the wonderful road we call academic medicine, you begin to be evaluated differently from the rest of your peers. You are evaluated more as an academic than as a physician. Hence, I'd venture to say the single most important factor in getting a residency and beyond (i.e. an evetual faculty position) is your publication record. Publish as much as you can, get your name on the most prestigious journal possible. These days with such intense competitive in academia...man...

I'd reckon (obviously I don't know fore sure) that someone who published two articles on Nature and one on NJEM would get any residency position anywhere with a generally substandard USLME. Correct me on this? Also, remember there are mstp specific grants available from NIH. How about a resident who has his/her OWN FEDERAL GRANT so he/she can hire more underlings?! (That'll make any director's day.) But it's probably a lot easier to get the grants if you discovered something brilliant.

Originally posted by Primate
Some programs do NOT like CDs. These are the more clinically oriented ones. The majority, however, do value the extra degree. The "top end" research programs obviously value it more and will let an average USMLE slide (usually). At the very competitive programs in the most competitive residencies, the PhD is almost required if you're not completely off the charts in other areas.

In other words, it depends, but the PhD usually is a plus.

Some programs do NOT like CDs. These are the more clinically oriented ones. In other words, it depends, but the PhD usually is a plus.
Right! It's hard to imagine an MD/PhD in famly practice.
At the very competitive programs in the most competitive residencies, the PhD is almost required if you're not completely off the charts in other areas.
Areas like urology and rads come to mind. Here at NIH, these fields have plently of MD/PhD's.

Originally posted by sluox
:) since when is a phd "almost" REQUIRED for a competitive residency?

Without stellar USMLE scores, LORs and grades, think Derm (in addition to Ms. MudPhud posted). One can get into these programs with an excellent application. Failing that, the PhD AT THESE PROGRAMS (only) will carry alot of weight.

P