MD/PhD, but a non-science PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boomuntilnoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to pursue an MD/PhD program, but I am *not* interested in seeking a basic science-related doctorate... are there any upscale universities that offer such funded programs, say in the areas of Fine Arts, Art History or Art Conservation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there are a few, but off the top of my head I can't tell you many. Just start checking websites and sending e-mails would be my advice. However, this begs the question, why?! What are you planning to do with that? I can't say I've ever heard of anyone doing medicine and art. Usually it's things like medicine and history or medicine and anthropology in MD/PhD programs.

I know Yale has MD/JD, MD/M. Div for medical lawyers and medical missionaries. They also have MD/MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both Penn and Yale have programs where one can pursue PhD's in non-science areas. It would be best to ask them further about it. (These are fully funded as well, though not MSTP)

the PhD in an art-related field, most specifically conservation, is more or less a hobby i want to pursue, although i am sure i could wing patient-therapy benefits out of it... besides, if i want to become a surgeon, i am sure being a masterful artist could improve tactial techniques!

Georgetown and a few other schools offer MD/PhD spots with the PhD in bioethics. However, you'll have to do some self examination and analyze why you would want to enter such a program in order to be a convincing candidate. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

The University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign offers PhD's in a variety of fields, and would probably be the most amenable to a combined program in the Fine Arts and Medicine.

Obviously of course, you'll have to answer the question about why you want to do both, and it can't be as easy as saying "I like both things".

Yours,

Case Western Reserve University also has a funded MD-PhD in health services research / epidemiology.

i know i said md/phds r useless, i was partly joking

but i'm not here.

y the hell u wanna do md/phd in art or history or wahtever else u watned to do???? taht's just plain ******ed. how is art or history even relevant to being a better/more well rounded doctor or contributing to the health of patients?

lemme guess. u r gonna paint sumthin and do the hollistic healing approachby havin em look at the painting and think of happy times?

LOSER

Yeah, like someoe else said, I know Yale and UPenn will let you get your PhD in various fields. On the Yale MSTP webpage, they list sme other depts that they think "would be of interest" to prospective students. Among them are "Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Engineering, Psychology and Sociology." I kind of get the impression that they might not be too keen on people straying too far away from what can be easily applied to medicine. (Then again, I don't really know. I should know more after I intervew there.)

Yale's MSTP

UPenn, on the other hand, seemed pretty open to students working in any area, so maybe that's a good bet.

As a sidebar: Why? Medicine is a big commitment. Do you really want to spend 3+ years getting a PhD jut or the hell of it? Why not just leave it as a side interest? Seems like an awful lot of trouble for a hobby.

-Naphtali