MD/PhD chances? Decent GPA, Low MCAT, Extensive Research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victorias

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am interested in MD/PhD programs but don't have perfect metrics. Do I have a chance? If so, which schools should I look at?

International

My stats:

Undergraduate GPA
Year 1 - 3.3
Year 2 - 3.67
Year 3 - 3.95
Year 4 - 4.0

cGPA = 3.61
sGPA (BCMP) = 3.5
All other = 3.83

Masters degree (2 year research based program completed)
Graduate GPA - 3.95

MCAT 511 (low CARS score)

Research experience - I have been involved in research since 2009

During undergrad:

- Completed a 4th year thesis research project (undergraduate)
- Completed a research based field course (experiential learning opportunity)
- 1 online small publication, not peer reviewed (first author from undergraduate)
- 1 oral talk/presentation at a local conference
- 3 years employment experience as a Lab Technician position (total 2000 hours)
- 7 months Research Assistant in Health and Social Science lab (total 200 hours)

During graduate school

- conducted experiments in the lab (2.5 years, 40-70 hours/week)
- 2 peer reviewed publications - original research papers (one first author and one third author)
- 7 national and international conferences posters/abstracts
- 3 local invited talks/presentations

After graduation
- 1.5 years of full time work experience in a research related position (2500 hours)

Exceptional reference letters from some top well known researchers
Other EC's and clinical and non clinical volunteering experiences are decent
Trying to get some shadowing experience before the application cycle opens (fingers crossed that I get some replies from physicians that I have contacted)

I have a lot of research experience, however my GPA/MCAT are not that high.
What are my chances for MD/PhD? Or should I focus on MD only?
Are there any schools that might be willing to look into my research experience favorably or it all about the metrics (GPA/MCAT)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was your CARS score, and your breakdown in general? If you got 125 or below in CARS you should probably retake the MCAT, ideally you want to get a 514 at least because that is the average MCAT for MSTP matriculants (https://www.aamc.org/download/321548/data/factstableb10.pdf). The average GPA for matriculants is just below 3.8, but you have an upward trend so that's okay. Your research is very strong, 8 years of experience along with posters, pubs, a thesis are all great. If you weren't an international student I would say your research alone gives you a solid chance at an acceptance. Many MSTP programs do not fund international students so make sure you can apply to a decent amount of schools that do accept international students before applying.