MD/PhD chances. Please help! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamesbon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT back today. It was a 32, with a breakdown 10, 10, 12. I'm applying to MD/PhD. I've been studying since the test, and I can retake Aug 1 if necessary. I have a 4.0 gpa, good research, track and field NCAA all-american, and great letters of recommendation. Should I retake the MCAT, or am I good for MSTP where I'm at?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my MCAT back today. It was a 32, with a breakdown 10, 10, 12. I'm applying to MD/PhD. I've been studying since the test, and I can retake Aug 1 if necessary. I have a 4.0 gpa, good research, track and field NCAA all-american, and great letters of recommendation. Should I retake the MCAT, or am I good for MSTP where I'm at?
MD PhD programs matriculate candidates who have distinguished themselves academically and have shown both evidence as well as promise as a scientist. Your research portfolio would have to be extraordinary in my state (with your MCAT).

Last edited by a moderator:
MD PhD programs matriculate candidates who have distinguished themselves academically and have show both evidence as well as promise as a scientist. Your research portfolio would have to be extraordinary in my state (with your MCAT).
Ok thanks for the reply! My state school's median MD/PhD MCAT is 34. I'm applying to my state school, as well as a broad range of other schools as well. I have 3 pending publications, 2 of which I will be a first author. I don't know if that changes anything?

Ok thanks for the reply! My state school's median MD/PhD MCAT is 34. I'm applying to my state school, as well as a broad range of other schools as well. I have 3 pending publications, 2 of which I will be a first author. I don't know if that changes anything?
If the quality of your research is high (as well as your ability to articulate it), a lot will depend on your state of residence.