Sep 3, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to MD/PhD programs next year (matriculation Fall 2016), and was hoping I could get your advice on schools I'd be considered at:

Stats:
Graduated from Bowdoin College a few years ago
Completed an honors project in Neuroscience my senior year
Worked at Massachusetts General Hospital in an HIV/AIDS lab for 3 years
Have a few publications
Got a 35 on the MCAT: 11PS, 11VR, 13BS
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
Lots of leadership experience (student government VP 2 years, residential life RA)
Lots of volunteer hours and leadership experience in non-profits
Have tutored for the MCAT for a couple years for a private company
Volunteer currently for 3 hours a week in the oncology unit of Massachusetts General Hospital
Great letters of rec

I feel like even with though stats, I wouldn't be very competitive at top tier medical schools. Thoughts where I should apply?

Also, I've heard it said that if MD/PhD programs don't accept you, they consider you separately for MD-only admissions. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Because if I don't get the PhD, I could still do research and I think that would make me a little more competitive at top-tier schools being in the MD-only pool if I didn't get into the MD/PhD? I've just never heard of someone only getting into MD at a school when they applied MD/PhD. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Also, I've heard it said that if MD/PhD programs don't accept you, they consider you separately for MD-only admissions. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? !
The problem with this is that by the time the MD/PhD committee has finally decided not to accept (in April or so), the MD class is already full. So though it could happen it's hard to operationalize.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads