MD/PhD chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave98472

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm interested in pursuing an MD/PhD program, and have spent this summer studying for my MCAT, while doing research and volunteering, to get a competitive score.

I just got the score back, and while I'm not unhappy, I'm somewhat disappointed and concerned that my scores are not high enough:

P: 15 B: 13 V: 11 Essay: R

The verbal is particularly worrisome, I never got that low a score on any of the practice tests.

I've been wondering if I should retake the exam, what do you guys think? Should I focus on studying for the GRE and getting a high score there - maybe to make up for the low verbal score - or might it be beneficial to retake the MCAT. I feel really confident that I can get a higher V and B section if I would reply. On one of the practice tests, I got a 45. (probably just lucky though)

Members don't see this ad.

Not applying PhD here, but I read somewhere that 35+ is recommended for that route. You are clearly there.

I would imagine there are other things you can spend your time doing that would make more of a difference in your app.

I just got the score back, and while I'm not unhappy, I'm somewhat disappointed and concerned that my scores are not high enough:

P: 15 B: 13 V: 11 Essay: R
Troll

Members don't see this ad :)
All right thanks. I figured it would be easier to just accept in and move on.

Come on, that's not trolling... I wasn't bragging. I had a real question to ask. The friends I know interested in MD/PhD got higher scores than I did - particularly in verbal...

Anyway, are GRE's important for MD/PhD? Might a high GRE score make up for a more average verbal score?

All right thanks. I figured it would be easier to just accept in and move on.

Come on, that's not trolling... I wasn't bragging. I had a real question to ask. The friends I know interested in MD/PhD got higher scores than I did - particularly in verbal...

Anyway, are GRE's important for MD/PhD? Might a high GRE score make up for a more average verbal score?

I believe most successful MD/PhD and MSTP applicants have around a 35+ and 3.8+, more importantly they have extensive longitudinal research. Your verbal score will not be of any concern to anyone. As long as you have substantial research experience, publications, and interest in bench/clinical/translational research, I wouldn't be concerned.

Just so you know, saying you'll retake from a 39 to try and get a 40+ sounds like trolling (and is highly inadvisable).

Sigh.... All right, that wasn't my intention.

Thanks for the advice.