MD/PhD essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pippip

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should discuss all three of my research experiences in my MD/PhD essay. I worked in the same lab for two summers, but did different projects. I then worked in another lab for a year. Should I discuss all three research projects in my essay? I am thinking I should thoroughly discuss the project I am most interested in, and then just briefly mention the others. I don't have that much space, so I think it would be better to go into detail on one project rather than touch on all three. What are your opinions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Discuss on the reserach project that you were deeply involved is better than describing all three in general.

I am working on two research projects which I am deeply involved in. One is purely Electrical Engineering, the other one is a combination of many disciplines-computational biology+engineering I guess. I will be writing two theses, which is going to be overwhelming for me.

I have also started writing the research experience for Md/Phd although I will be applying next year. I am very interested in both projects and am having problem deciding which to write about in the application.

Which one is better? the pure engineering or the bio related?

Members don't see this ad :)
A golden rule of thumb is always to not say too much in your essay what the rest of your application has said already. If you have listed your research experiences in other parts of the application, be brief about them in the essay (do mention them, but don't put a whole abstract in your essay). It's important to really list what you have learned from the research experiences in addition to what the findings are. Chances are you'll be doing something completely different in your PhD training from what you did as an undergrad. People are more interested in the translatable skills you have than the exact results of your experiments.