MD, PhD essays holding up apps...can I send now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to a total of 25 schools, 5 which are MD, PhD while the other 20 are only MD's. My PS is done, but my PhD essays are holding up my apps. Is there any way I can apply to the first 20 MD only schools now and later add the MD, PhD schools? Or do I have to wait because once I send the MD only schools the essays are completely locked? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to send it together

I actually did exactly what you're asking during the last cycle. I applied MD-only to my state school (they don't have MSTP), then a few weeks later submitted my MD/PhD application to all the other schools. Just be aware that once you submit the MD app, you won't be able to go back and change anything except for the MD/PhD specific essays, so make sure that your grades, EC's, personal statement, etc. are exactly how you want them to look for all of your schools. Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's weird because when I logon to my AMCAS there is no option of editing my MSTP essays.

byong_soo said:
That's weird because when I logon to my AMCAS there is no option of editing my MSTP essays.

Did you submit everything together? Or did you do what I'm seeing if I could do, submitting the MD only schools first and later adding on the MD, PhD's?

Gonzo12164 said:
I will be applying to a total of 25 schools, 5 which are MD, PhD while the other 20 are only MD's. My PS is done, but my PhD essays are holding up my apps. Is there any way I can apply to the first 20 MD only schools now and later add the MD, PhD schools? Or do I have to wait because once I send the MD only schools the essays are completely locked? Thanks!

Why not just finish your essays and stop letting them hold up your apps? Am I missing something here?

Shatterstar17 said:
Why not just finish your essays and stop letting them hold up your apps? Am I missing something here?

The hold up is that I go back and forth on the essay with my advisor/boss. He's a pretty busy guy so I'm working on his schedule.

I think that you need to figure if you want to be an MD/PhD or an MD student. That's the first question you need to figure out because applying this way is pointless. Under what circumstances do you want to do an MD/PhD or would you rather be an MD student? Does it depend on the school?

You should tell your boss that you need to submit this application by the end of the week. If he does not get back to you, then just send out what you have now - making sure that it is proofread. You can then submit the revised version in your secondary applications.

For those applying to both MD and MD/PhD programs, I was just wondering if medicals would ask you during interviews why you're not applying MD/PhD. I know some of my LORs probably mention the fact that I'm applying to the dual program and I'm afraid that if I do apply to straight MD with those letters I'll get schools wondering why I didn't apply to them MD/PhD.

Trisana said:
For those applying to both MD and MD/PhD programs, I was just wondering if medicals would ask you during interviews why you're not applying MD/PhD. I know some of my LORs probably mention the fact that I'm applying to the dual program and I'm afraid that if I do apply to straight MD with those letters I'll get schools wondering why I didn't apply to them MD/PhD.

First of all, I would make up your mind if you want to get into an MD or and MD/PhD program.

Second of all, I would probably not mention MD/PhD to a school you are only applying MD too. You will get asked, and they may use this against you - or at some places it might help you ...

How much did it cost you to apply all of those?