anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I am applying to the MD/PhD programs and my essay describing my research experiences is pretty detailed. I did a lot of benchwork (four summers worth) and describing it all gets complicated. Is this essays supposed to be detailed with specifics about the genes you were working with, the methods you used, and the results you got? Because I don't think people outside the realm of science will understand my essay the way it is written now.

as06

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Houston
Status
Pre-Medical
anka24 said:
I am applying to the MD/PhD programs and my essay describing my research experiences is pretty detailed. I did a lot of benchwork (four summers worth) and describing it all gets complicated. Is this essays supposed to be detailed with specifics about the genes you were working with, the methods you used, and the results you got? Because I don't think people outside the realm of science will understand my essay the way it is written now.
I was struggling with the same question. I think that we should make this response accessible to anyone with a general background in the biomedical sciences. So while you should motivate your research and discuss your approach and conclusions, I don't think you should get too mired in the details.
I could be entirely off, so I'd love to hear comments.

You'll also find more advice on the MD/PhD devoted forums...best of luck!

About the Ads

e_phn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

cadilakgrl

science nerd
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
MD/PhD Student
anka24 said:
If you have had 3 or more projects then I would focus on the most important ones in terms of your contributions and the results. I would focus on writing a good introduction to the project(s) similiar to an abstract or introduction- explaining the relevance of the research, what question you were trying to answer and what experiments you did, and last some of the results. I think you could get really detailed in the results, but I don't think it is really necessary. Try to write it as you would if you were explaining it to a person who had a biology background but knows nothing about your area of research. I think most of the admissions committee members who read this research essay will have a PhD or MD, so you don't need to go super basic, but they may or may not have much knowledge or your research area. Most likely you will be asked more about the specifics of your research in your interviews. So in general I would summarize and not go too much into the nitty gritty details. Also I think it is good to mention how much you actually contributed to the project(s) in terms of benchwork, intellectual input, and any papers that resulted.

Good luck :luck: Check out the MD/PhD forum for more advice.

About the Ads