Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MD/PhD in humanities

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by airbuspilot, Nov 15, 2002.

1. airbuspilot

airbuspilot New Member
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone know of the schools that have a formal program like this?

Duke has the Medical Historian Program; however, the history part is "history of medicine." I would be interested in pursuing something completely outside medicine/science for the PhD, like classical studies.

Is it even feasible to fuse a clinical career with academics outside medicine/science?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

Some places will allow you to do it, but they will want to see that this is a well thought out career-plan and not some whimsical flight of fancy - so you need to have very compelling arguments prepared. As far as an actual career combining them, I personally think it's doubtful. The most disparate ones I know of are, as you say, people who do medicine and history of medicine.

4. jot

jot

yale has quite a few flexible options for your phd. however, the only program that offers funding for any phd at all is u illinois in champaine urbana. the medical historian programs and anthro progrmas are readily available. ucsf-berkeley ms program is pretty broad. otherwise it will be hard getting funding.

-jot

5. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey,

I've been investigating this option myself a bit but the funding see,s very difficult to get. Both UCD and UCI will let you do the PhD in any department in the University that you like, and UCI especially seemed to have people who did Anthropology and Sociology. NYU also seemed to imply on their website that you could do a PhD in whatever you wanted. At all three of these I don't think funding is assured for the MD years, only the PhD years. UCSF has medical anthropology and I'm not sure if thats funded. A lot of places let you do the PhD in Public Health, so that might be a way to go since many public health schools will let you be fairly broad in your research. But some only allow you to do Epidemiology so you would need to ask for more info. Hope that helps.

Peace.

6. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH IN GALVESTON
    has an awesome medical humanities program, and they offer the MDPHD. Here's the link . I think I'm going to apply to it.