md/phd info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rdhdstpkd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the md/phd route and I have a question. When you apply to an md/phd program and you are rejected, do you fall back into the md pool, or are you out of that school totally?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Rdhdstpkd
I'm considering the md/phd route and I have a question. When you apply to an md/phd program and you are rejected, do you fall back into the md pool, or are you out of that school totally?

Usually depends on how good your application is. Could go either way, but if you have the resume to be applying for MD/PhD, you'll probably be bumped to the MD pool.

At most schools, you then have a chance for MD, but you can often be at a disadvantage because of timing, especially if your app is tied up in the MSTP office until late in the process. Also, a few select schools do NOT automatically put you into the MD pile if you are rejected MD/PhD. Come join the chat in the MD/PhD forum for more info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Random Access
Usually depends on how good your application is. Could go either way, but if you have the resume to be applying for MD/PhD, you'll probably be bumped to the MD pool.

The only school I've ever heard that decides whether or not to give rejected applicants a chance at MD based on the quality of their application is Hopkins. Do you know of others?

Originally posted by CaNEM
The only school I've ever heard that decides whether or not to give rejected applicants a chance at MD based on the quality of their application is Hopkins. Do you know of others?

I thought I read about another one on SDN, but don't remember.

every school except the uchicago considers you for the md pool if rejected from the md/phd route. at some schools (ucla, penn), the medical school never even interviews you at all, just the mstp committee; nevertheless, they can (and do) accept people to the medical school alone. this is slightly more nuanced, however. this very much depends on what type of applicant you were, and why you were rejcetyed from mstp. if you were too clinicall focused, then they may be more inclined to accept you md. if you would never have been acceptable for md-only, and mstp was your only in (some applicants are awesome, but fit this bill), it isn't likely that your app will be considered strongly.

the other aspect is that medschools are always concerned about their matric percentages - if you were rejected from the mstp but are still a good candidate and are committeed to medical science, very few school will bother giving you an md slot because they think you'll go somewhere else. only a few places have the confidence to think you will accept their md over other mstp's.

at most schools, if you are rejected pre-interview for mstp, you can explictly tell them you are interested in straight md (or they may ask directly). again, depends on what your app looks like.

the pre-mstp forum is rife with good info.
best,
-jot