MD/PhD is not medical school???

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by seraph524, Jun 21, 2008.

1. seraph524

MD/PhD Student
    (will be using them/their to avoid identifying sex, i apologize if it reads weird)

So check this out, a friend of mine is teaching for the MCAT right now, and so they sent an email out to the class, telling them to regard their advice in trying to study, since they did very well and was accepted into a top 5 MD/PhD program.

However, one of the students immediately responded saying that while it was great they got into a MD/PhD program, they should try to teach the MCAT for people trying to get into medical school.

I never knew that going to an MD/PhD program is not going to medical school! o_O

#1 seraph524, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant

MD/PhD Student
    It's not. We're just sitting in a classroom full of what appears to be medical students, taking classes strikingly similar to medical school courses, going on the hospital wards (and interacting with patients too!), and earning a degree that suspciously looks like an M.D. but isn't.

#2 Mr. Tee, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    THE MD IS A LIE.
    THE MD IS A LIE.
    THE MD IS A LIE.

[​IMG]

5. ecoli

Pre-Medical
    I guess its because they dirty the purity of a medical degree by doing research. :D

6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    What adds to the humor of this is that your friend told the students to listen to him/her because of his/her MCAT score/med school acceptance in the first place. As if being their MCAT teacher didn't give this person enough moral authority to make recommendations about how to study.

The student may have intended to make a different point than how you guys interpreted it, actually. In other words, sometimes high-achieving people like your buddy can forget that an awful lot of applicants would be absolutely ecstatic with a 30. :)

7. seraph524

MD/PhD Student
    Could be, could be, but they know for a fact that the student definitely did not mean they shouldn't be pushed so hard to study.

I really was hoping for Neuronix to comment on this, and he far exceeded my expectations ;)