MD/PhD McNair Fellowship then MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormo24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All

Lets say I am accepted into the McNairs Fellowship Program and do my 2 years in the program of research but at the end of all that I decide that research is not for me and that MD is the way I want to go. By any chance is it gonna look bad that I spent 2 years training to do a PhD but then I decide not to? Is it good to at least have that program experience with you?
Any positives to the program?
Any negatives?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctormo24 said:
Hey All

Lets say I am accepted into the McNairs Fellowship Program and do my 2 years in the program of research but at the end of all that I decide that research is not for me and that MD is the way I want to go. By any chance is it gonna look bad that I spent 2 years training to do a PhD but then I decide not to? Is it good to at least have that program experience with you?
Any positives to the program?
Any negatives?

Seriously consider whether or not leaving your program would negatively impact your application to medical schools. In general it's best to finish what you started, so if you're uncertain about research but sure about medical school, why not go into a Master's program/post-bacc w/ the option to continue for a PhD if you're interested? Once you've committed on paper for completing one doctorate, you're in a binding contract. And while you could leave with a Master's, it would definitely be an issue at med interviews (what indicators are there that you won't drop out of the MD program too?).
Consider all of your actions BEFORE enrolling in a PhD program. Apply to Master's programs or better to some Post-bacc research programs (like one at Mount Sinai or IMS at Drexel).

Good luck

~GraC

ok lets say i do the program and commit to it for 2 years but my question is at the end of 2 years when i complete and finish the program what if i decide that I no longer want to complete and MD/PhD but instead do just an MD. Im not gonna quit the program but finish it, but was just wondering what if at the end i decide no longer to go to grad school and do the MD/PhD but instead do an MD.

Is it gonna look bad that I went through the program, completed it and then decided not to go for a MD/PhD and do just an MD or is it a great program to be apart of. Ive heard really good things about McNair Scholars.

Doctormo24 said:
ok lets say i do the program and commit to it for 2 years but my question is at the end of 2 years when i complete and finish the program what if i decide that I no longer want to complete and MD/PhD but instead do just an MD. Im not gonna quit the program but finish it, but was just wondering what if at the end i decide no longer to go to grad school and do the MD/PhD but instead do an MD.

Is it gonna look bad that I went through the program, completed it and then decided not to go for a MD/PhD and do just an MD or is it a great program to be apart of. Ive heard really good things about McNair Scholars.
Being a McNair Alum myself (undergrad), it is a great connection. Do not abuse it as a step-in-stone to just get into MD schools, seems from your post you're really not too much into grad school and more geared towards the MD route, so don't waste your time or the McNair government funds.