MD/PhD program Questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtritt2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The professor I've worked with for the past two years has been suggesting to me that I look into the possibility of getting into a combined degree program. I would really appreciate your feedback and thoughts. Here's some general questions I have.

The time commitment is a very large consideration for me. I'm not sure if i'm ready to commit 9 years of my life. How much longer is it if you do them separately? For example if i went and got my MD then decided to do the PhD. What about and MD/MS program? Do they exist? +'s and -'s? Are there roadblocks in research if you only have an MD? Is an MD/PhD a must? I am extremely interested in surgery. Was does a MD/Phd do in surgery? Is it required there to do research?

Just some general questions I would like to get answered.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to throw in a related question: How do MD/PhDs feel about family? That is, do they have them? Do they have time for them? Do they care?

You shouldn't attempt an MD/PhD if time is a concern. I'm a PhD student and applying for med school right now. When I graduate next spring, I will have spent 5 years working on my PhD, then comes four years of med school, then residency. Plus, don't ever do something you don't want to do - it's not up to your professor, it's up to you.

And the second question is interesting. My PI is an MD/PhD and has a wife and two children he always has time for. There are several MD/PhDs here at USC with families. And of course they care, otherwise they wouldn't have them.

Andrew

The director of Surgery at the University of Iowa is an MD/PHD so I'm guessing you could easily do surgery.

later