MD/PhD Rad Onc chances with 203 step 1

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by ganglia777, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ganglia777

MD/PhD from top 30 school with low step 1, and 30+ publications by the time I apply. Assuming a high step 2 score, what are the chances of matching? Does a PhD make up for a barely passing step 1?

2. Radiator20

Resident [Any Field]
    Aren't there more spots this year than US seniors applying? If the same holds true next year, then I imagine you would match. How well is a different question.

Not that you asked, but one piece of advice. With those stats, people will be tempted to see you as: strong researcher, weak clinician. Outstanding clinical grades and Step 2 would help to mitigate that perception.

medgator likes this.
  3. evilbooyaa

Staff Member Moderator Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agree with everything above. Assuming application numbers don't increase significantly next year (which I would be surprised if they do) there will continue to be more spots than applicants. Regardless, with that many publications I imagine you will match somewhere - would recommend applying to every program in the country. Even once you start residency, I'd work really really hard to make sure you seem like you are on top of the material appropriate for your year, if not more advanced than that.

4. emt409

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    This was essentially me. I was told at the beginning of med school that as long as you had a PhD, no one cared about Step 1. So my Step 1 was ****e.

That may have been true in 2007 when I started, but now everyone and their mother has a PhD applying to rad onc. But if you're applying this year, you'll definitely match.

5. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They stopped saying that where I trained when four MSTP grads failed to match in one year :laugh:

As others have written, it's going to depend highly on how competitive rad onc ends up being when you apply. Even for the relatively small number of residency positions that support serious research such as Holman pathway, they still used to like those high step scores. Now they'll sort of take what they can get. A high step 2 score will help--though should be aiming for like 260+ to even try to make up for that step 1 score.

One other factor: how related to rad onc are your 30+ publications? Many programs would rather see applicants with directly related rad onc work that could fit right into their faculty's research, rather than someone with research potential that they're not sure how to integrate into their department.

Additional thought: are you sure you want to do rad onc? Opportunities to continue lab based research are limited in this specialty. This post FM vs path chances in top west coast programs for MD/PhD with low step 1 makes me question your motivations a bit. Have you really thought about things and come to the conclusion you want to do rad onc for some reason?