Md/phd vs md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it easier to get into a md/phd program than a md program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can tell, it's just a pretty different process all together. MD/PhDapplicants tend to have higher numbers and more research experience. The other typical EC's (volunteering, service, leadership, etc) matter a little bit less for MD/PhD than normal MD. If volunteering is difficult for you to get involved with for whatever reason, maybe MD/PhD could be considered an 'easier' path if you have exceptional research and numbers.

Basically an MD/PhD is for people who want to do research in relation to the medical field. So most applicants have a lot more research and a little better grades. If research is your thing it's great, but it's not easier admission in any way.

Is it easier to get into a md/phd program than a md program?

Hahaha. No.

However, since research experience is so much more important for MD/PhD, it is possible for certain applicants to be *better* MD/PhD candidates than they are MD candidates. The profile for this type of person would be slightly lower GPA paired with super high test scores and multiple pubs, but less clinical volunteering.

But it would be a major misclassification to say that MD/PhD is 'easier' in any way.

However, since research experience is so much more important for MD/PhD, it is possible for certain applicants to be *better* MD/PhD candidates than they are MD candidates. The profile for this type of person would be slightly lower GPA paired with super high test scores and multiple pubs, but less clinical volunteering..

This, totally.I have worked in research full-time for 3.5 years, so I have lots of pubs, posters, good research LOR's, etc. Unfortunately, working full-time has limited my involvement in other EC's, which hurts my chance at MD schools. I would apply MD/PhD but I have no desire to go back to class for two years, then forget it all working in research again for 3 more years.

edit: "The profile for this type of person would be slightly lower GPA paired with super high test scores ", MD/PhD tend to have lower GPA than normal MD for the same school?

This, totally.I have worked in research full-time for 3.5 years, so I have lots of pubs, posters, good research LOR's, etc. Unfortunately, working full-time has limited my involvement in other EC's, which hurts my chance at MD schools. I would apply MD/PhD but I have no desire to go back to class for two years, then forget it all working in research again for 3 more years.

Ha. We are lost applicant twins. I had people telling me to go MD/PhD but I just don't want the PhD, despite being a strong candidate for it....I'm just going to take my chances and hope that my application is strong enough anyway.

edit: "The profile for this type of person would be slightly lower GPA paired with super high test scores ", MD/PhD tend to have lower GPA than normal MD for the same school?

No, I believe MD/PhD GPAs are still overall higher, but I know several people (tend to be head-in-the-sky research types) who got into MD/PhD despite low(er) grades in basic classes. Their chances straight MD would have been much lower, but their amazing research counterbalanced that for the MD/PhD programs.