MD/PhD waitlist...does it exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all -
as many of you may have noticed, I'd doing the whole MD/PhD application bass ackwards. Could somebody please clue me in regarding how the admissions process differes from the regular MD application, especially regarding waitlists (and especially at Minnesota). Are there waitlists for MD/PhD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Totally depends on the school.
I believe most schools don't have them, rather, they give out a certain number of offers, based on their experience and math, in order to get a certain number of matriculations, i.e. WashU usually shoots for a class of 20-25 people, so they give out about 50 offers.
I do, however, know some schools have waitlists. Dunno which, and definitely don't know about Minnesota.
Good luck.

Upenn certainly has an MSTP waitlist and its miles long....
frankly, i dont know if they reject MSTP they interview, and instead just keep them in waitlist limbo until september

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waitlisted at Einstein, I know they give out rejections, but they also keep a "hold to be revaluated" list every time the steering committee meets. Then they rerank the all applications after another interview cycle. Still waiting.....

Originally posted by surge
Totally depends on the school.
I believe most schools don't have them, rather, they give out a certain number of offers, based on their experience and math, in order to get a certain number of matriculations, i.e. WashU usually shoots for a class of 20-25 people, so they give out about 50 offers.
I do, however, know some schools have waitlists. Dunno which, and definitely don't know about Minnesota.
Good luck.

I think most schools have waitlists. Even Wash U does; they interview 80-90 people, accept 1/2 right off the bat, then waitlist a couple just in case.

Hey Surge,

Good to meet you this past weekend in St. louis! You know who I am? ;) Hint: think about conquering the Arch and lab benches.

Best of luck to you tomorrow! Let me know if you decide to come back for a revisit.

Originally posted by energy_girl
I think most schools have waitlists. Even Wash U does; they interview 80-90 people, accept 1/2 right off the bat, then waitlist a couple just in case.

Hey Surge,

Good to meet you this past weekend in St. louis! You know who I am? ;) Hint: think about conquering the Arch and lab benches.

Best of luck to you tomorrow! Let me know if you decide to come back for a revisit.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for setting me straight :D