MD/PhD with a B.S. (business)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedAZ

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a business major at ASU right now. (Entering my junior year) I'm considering applying for MD/PhD on a medicinal chemistry track. While it might sound off the wall, organic REALLY got me into chemistry. I wasn't able to get involved in any research with the department this semester, so I did RA work on an Alzheimer's caregiving study with the psych department. I have a 3.90 and have volunteered in a local ER since Spring Freshman year. This summer I will probably do work in medicinal and computational chemistry.

Assuming I manage to amass some good research experience in the field over the next year and given good MCATs, do I have a shot? Another thing that will probably come out of my research is an honors thesis that I will defend senior year. Should I go for a chem minor? Switch to a chem major? Would a BA be alright - it wouldn't set me back nearly as much? Take PChem and/or analytical?

The original intent of the business degree was to have a better understanding of how it worked - since a lot of doctors end up woefully underprepared. Given good essays and the ability to cogently explain my reasoning as an interview, do I have a chance if I graduate with the BS in Econ, Marketing, or Supply Chain? I am between a rock and a hard place on this one -

I know the MSTP program would take a long time after undergrad, so it isn't in my best interest to set myself back. Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Major really doesn't have any bearing on candidacy. They want to see committment to research and to medicine. If you can demonstrate that with your volunteering and your research, then by all means go full steam ahead.