• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

WatchingWaiting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
Find a substantial research project; show a sustained committment to it; make sure you'll be able to click with your advisor. Excel in academics and don't neglect having a bit of extracurricular and clinical activity to show your committment to medicine and not just research.

About the Ads

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WatchingWaiting said:
Find a substantial research project; show a sustained committment to it; make sure you'll be able to click with your advisor. Excel in academics and don't neglect having a bit of extracurricular and clinical activity to show your committment to medicine and not just research.
I agree with WatchingWaiting......not only will finding a project that you can devote yourself to look good on your app, it will more importantly show you what life in a lab is like. Maybe you'll realize that life at the bench isn't exactly for you. Its definately a huge committment, so I think its better to find out earlier than to find out later

southbelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Status
PeruvianDoctor said:
thinking about the MD/PhD anyone have helpfull advice??
I was thinking about the same thing until the end of my junior year. Then over that summer I saw the light. Reading papers about what effect gene abc has on neurotransmitter xyz isn't my idea of a good time.

I think the md only route is better bang for the buck.

About the Ads