MD/PhDs applying to Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2KOTN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a M3 MD/PhD student with a PhD in Bioengineering (Though I would consider myself a Computational Biologist). I am thinking about applying to Family Medicine or Med/Peds and potentially going into Medical Genetics afterwards.

I know that there are not a large number of MD/PhD applicants in either field (14 for FM and 8 for Med/Peds), but I am quite interested in having the scope of my practice to include children and adults, but I am also interested in doing research as well.

My questions are as follows

1) Is this a realistic goal, or will I be spreading myself out too thin?

2) Are there many FM programs that are receptive to MD/PhDs and encourage research during residency?

3) Followup for 2), would I be competitive at any of those programs? I did quite abysmally in Step 1 (202). Everything else is fine, Decent Rotation grades so far, and 2 (Hopefully 3 soon) 1st authors.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I am a pre med, but are you considering Fam med because of your low step 1? Because, it def doesnt make sense why a MD/PHD would want to go into Fam med after 3 years of medicine.

Not really due to scores. My FM and IM chances are pretty similar according to data. 90% vs 89% for Step 1 score only. I like IM, but I really would like to keep the scope of practice open to kids and adults, because I find that important. Med/Peds of course is an option, but it is at a more competitive clip so I need to be a bit broader.

Whats worrying to me according to the statistics, IM programs seem to be impressed with PhD degrees as 97% of PhD applicants match, but FM not so much 85%. Perhaps its due to small n, but I kind of just want answers to see if being a PhD actually hurts me in the application process.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a M3 MD/PhD student with a PhD in Bioengineering (Though I would consider myself a Computational Biologist). I am thinking about applying to Family Medicine or Med/Peds and potentially going into Medical Genetics afterwards.

I know that there are not a large number of MD/PhD applicants in either field (14 for FM and 8 for Med/Peds), but I am quite interested in having the scope of my practice to include children and adults, but I am also interested in doing research as well.

My questions are as follows

1) Is this a realistic goal, or will I be spreading myself out too thin?

2) Are there many FM programs that are receptive to MD/PhDs and encourage research during residency?

3) Followup for 2), would I be competitive at any of those programs? I did quite abysmally in Step 1 (202). Everything else is fine, Decent Rotation grades so far, and 2 (Hopefully 3 soon) 1st authors.

Well, the bioengineering background is hard to apply in family med since most of our research is clinical and we don't do many basic science research. You can certainly do research in family medicine and there are primary care research organizations that highly encourage you to do that...NAPCRG for one which I have presented research in.

Ignore the premed poster, like seriously? that premed doesnt know what it is talking about. I went into family medicine and my step scores are 249/252/240, M.D. AMG, and graduated with honors and those scores were more than 5 years ago when the average scores were lower. We dont go to fam med because we have low scores...I hope that premed does not get into med school.

I love fam med because of the scope of practice and we certainly encourage researchers to join in. I was able to present 8 research projects in national conferences this year and the conversations in these conference are fun compared to when I did basic science research because our topics are very patient-centered and relevant to our daily practice :)

Reactions: 1 user
Look like someone is offended. Based on the OP post, i had no idea that he was interested in FM. As far as me not getting into medical, it's a bit late my friend :). Very toxic response from you though, i assumed that anyone who has been interested in primary care since his freshman year would known the answer to the OP question. And also how many primary care focus school push research??

I even added the disclaimer, let's just discard the fact that FM is usually associated with low step/ COMLEX scores. And still that wasnt enough for you to not get offended. :)

Well, the bioengineering background is hard to apply in family med since most of our research is clinical and we don't do many basic science research. You can certainly do research in family medicine and there are primary care research organizations that highly encourage you to do that...NAPCRG for one which I have presented research in.

Ignore the premed poster, like seriously? that premed doesnt know what it is talking about. I went into family medicine and my step scores are 249/252/240, M.D. AMG, and graduated with honors and those scores were more than 5 years ago when the average scores were lower. We dont go to fam med because we have low scores...I hope that premed does not get into med school.

I love fam med because of the scope of practice and we certainly encourage researchers to join in. I was able to present 8 research projects in national conferences this year and the conversations in these conference are fun compared to when I did basic science research because our topics are very patient-centered and relevant to our daily practice :)

Last edited:
Based on the OP post, i had no idea that he was interested in FM.

The fact that he posted in the FM forum might've given you a clue...

FM is usually associated with low step/ COMLEX scores.

At least you're living up to your screen name. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP...don't expect research to count for much in FM, nor your interest in specialization. It will probably hurt you, actually. I recommend applying to IM programs. That sort of stuff will matter more to them, plus there are more residency spots available.

The fact that he posted in the FM forum might've given you a clue...

At least you're living up to your screen name. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP...don't expect research to count for much in FM, nor your interest in specialization. It will probably hurt you, actually. I recommend applying to IM programs. That sort of stuff will matter more to them, plus there are more residency spots available.
lol, you guys are seriously over-reacting . I meant interest as in in DEEPLY INTERESTED due his research and else. As someone who is considering a career in FM, i know for a fact that volunteering at CLINIC or being involved in student run clinic >>>> Research and most FM dont even bother with research. But ok.

lol, you guys are seriously over-reacting . I meant interest as in in DEEPLY INTERESTED due his research and else. As someone who is considering a career in FM, i know for a fact that volunteering at CLINIC or being involved in student run clinic >>>> Research and most FM dont even bother with research. But ok.

Again, to quote the OP: "I am thinking about applying to Family Medicine", i'm pretty sure he is deeply interested.

Now back to the topic:

OP, one of my faculty during residency was a geneticist prior to going into FM. Doesn't hold a PhD, but is actively still involved in that aspect of medicine.

What pete said was true, research after residency (thought not always), tends to be more clinical/patient oriented. But that's not to say its not possible to engage in research at the bio-mole/genetics level. You have the qualifications, you certainly can find resources to tap into it, even if the residency isn't a good base for it.

I'm not sure any residency/sub-specialty will provide that sort of research opportunities for you right off the bat. Again, this doesn't mean you can't go out on your own and find these things (helps being at an academic program).

In terms of matching for FM, scores aren't everything. More academic programs will be more competitive, but majority of applicants prefer to be out in the community where they don't have other competing residencies taking learning away, and are focused on the community level training (where they eventually end up practicing).

If you want to do bread-butter stuff, low risk ob, peds, adults, geriatrics etc. than FM is good choice. If you want to focus in on either, whether adults/geri or peds, than med/peds is a good option too. If you plan to practice outpatient + some inpatient adult/peds care.. than FM will train you well enough for the most part. If you anticipate practicing in a rural location to manage a PICU, than you might want to do Med/Peds. Again, certain FM programs provide good opportunities to do more intensive peds care too (Flint, MI program I believe), just a matter of what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking about is now tatamount to being deeeply interested?? MAn, you guys are seriously out of it.

Ok so to answer the OPs question, having participated in ranking residents for residency and fellowship.

No one in Family Med, as far as I can tell would look down on a PhD, and most would respect it. A friend of mine had a PhD in a hard science (protein chemistry of some sort?) and is now in a private practice family med group. She did just fine with interviewing. My residency program now has an intern who I believe is an MD/PhD combined from med school. Family med is very diverse. Your PhD would probably me most appreciated at an academic place that is pushing research, however if you want to go to a more clinically oriented community place I am sure that would be fine. At the end of the day, the PhD means you can sit down and do work, which along with your med school performance means you can do the academic part of residency. As long as you are pleasant to work with, interview well, you should be fine. The only potential problem would be someone who is great in a lab/spreadsheets but is poor at interpersonal communication and working with others. If you are solid to work with and do well on your rotations, you will be fine.

if you did family medicine you could do genetics afterwards and have a very unique niche that you could provide genetic consults and also have a day or two a week doing primary care. With genetic testing becoming cheaper you could be a leader in the field of helping primary care docs incorporate these tests into our panels and helping us understand which tests are clinically relevant to what we do. Having someone who understands both genetics and primary care would be huge in any nearly any setting, especially in resident and physician education.

Reactions: 2 users