1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MD Plates

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by BassDominator, Apr 30, 2004.

1. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So, I graduate in less than a month now.... and I was wondering if there was any point to getting MD license plates?

It won't really get you out of a speeding or parking ticket, right? I imagine it is up to the discretion of the police officer? Any law enforcement types out there that can clarify this?

I don't plan on driving like a maniac or parking in the blue zone, so is there really any point? Is it just a status symbol? I worry it's just an invitation for some junky to break into your car.

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

I'd say don't do it. I think these are hopelessly tacky. AND if you lightly touch someone's bumper one day at a stop sign, the next thing you know, you've got someone in a neck brace taking you to court. ;)

4. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think they go well with having "MD" on your credit cards, personal checks, and of course all your regular magazine subscriptions. :rolleyes:

5. 4 Ever

4 Ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

also, some people might key your car intentionally just because you are a doctor. people do the cruelest things without reason

6. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think that in some certian scenarios, depending on what hospital you work in of course, that MD plates allow you to park temporarily in "physician designated parking" on city blocks for limited amounts of time.

I suppose the theory is that if you're called in for some sort of emergency, you can park on the street directly outside and move the car later. Also, I know that at one hospital in which I worked, you could not get a physician's parking permit without MD plates.

7. Energon

Energon Nobody Summons Megatron
    15+ Year Member

This happned to my uncle... a real $hi!!y situation. I am with KyGrlDr2B, there are just too many @$$holes out there waiting to make cash off doctor folk.

8. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

One of my med school friends told me to stick this sticker I got from my med school with its name on it on the car because cops are less likely too care about speeding issues. Is this worth doing or should I take it off?

9. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i agree. especially the tacky part.