MD Possible? Need feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input is greatly appreciated. I graduated from UCI with a sGPA of 3.35, slightly higher cGPA, and pretty good ECs. After graduation, I was accepted into a 1-year Cal State Pre-Health Post-Bacc program, where I am currently finishing up Spring quarter. I currently have a 4.0 GPA, and hope to finish out the program that way. I took the March 28th MCAT and still awaiting my scores. However, I feel I did very poorly on the exam. My dream is to go to an allopathic school, and not osteopathic. Does anyone have any advice that they feel might benefit me with regards to my situation? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

(if you need specifics, I could post them as well)

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is gonna be a little low for most MD schools, but the grad gpa sould def help. I think when you get your MCAT score in a week, you should post again and everyone can probably give you some more concrete advice! You probably did better than you think:)

Thank you for the response. The score should be out sometime this week, however I did fail to mention that my GPA was low mainly due to my freshman year. I have a very strong upward trend. The breakdown is as follows.

Freshman sGPA: 2.69
Sophmore sGPA: 3.23
Junior sGPA: 3.74
Senior sGPA: 3.61
Post-Bacc sGPA: 4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
can u post up ur average PRACTICE aamc MCAT scores? usually those averages are spot on.

i heard the threshold for most medical schools is a 3.4 gpa.

and even with a 3.4 gpa, u should have a least a 33 mcat to compensate for the mediocre gpa.

if u do happen to get a 33+ mcat next week, apply broadly and early to OOS schools like GWU, albany, st. louis, creighton, MCW, and u'll probably get into one of those schools. but if u score lower than a 30...i advise re-taking the mcat with ur subpar 3.4 gpa

My practice MCAT scores were within range of 30-33. My dream school would be USC's Keck School of Medicine, so would I technically be not be a potential good applicant? If not, and lets hypothetically assume my MCAT doesnt end up being 31+, then is it in my best interest to wait another year and purely focus on MCAT and get a better score (33+) and apply the following year?

My practice MCAT scores were within range of 30-33. My dream school would be USC's Keck School of Medicine, so would I technically be not be a potential good applicant? If not, and lets hypothetically assume my MCAT doesnt end up being 31+, then is it in my best interest to wait another year and purely focus on MCAT and get a better score (33+) and apply the following year?

yes, if u dont have a mcat of 31+ next week, u should not apply with a 3.4 and sub 30 score...focus on the MCAT on ur year off and do some CRAZY EC'S like do some volunteering aboard...heard thats big for some schools like loma linda and boston u.

even with a 33+, USC and most cali schools are highly competitive if ur not URM...the avg stats for cali med schools are 3.7 and 32-34 MCAT