MD post-bacc or DO acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!! So, I need some advice !!

While I was waitlisted at one of the DO schools, I applied and interviewed at the Drexel for the DPMS program. DPMS program is a one year post-bacc program that gives you a conditional acceptance to med school nexy year if you maintain at least 3.0 during the post-bacc and meet their MCAT requirements. HOwever, I just found out recently that I also got into a DO school. So, my question is : should I go to DO school this fall or try and go through the DPMS program.

If I do the DPMS program, I would need to retake the MCAT for the third time now( since my bio score was a 7 instead of an 8 like they require. MY undergraduate GPA is 3.6 so I am not too worried about that! Although I am more than confident that I would be able to pull off at least a 3.0 in DPMS program, I can't say for sure that I would get the MCAT scores they require to move onto Drexel Med. Also, only half of DPMS students actually get to go on to Drexel MEd. Although I always had my heart set on the MD schools, I am happy with my DO acceptance. Still, I can't help but wonder if maybe this DPMS program might actually work out.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

[yeah, I just wanted to get some more feedback, although I greatly appreciate the advice from those who already posted on this thread!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are someone who will always feel like you accepted second best by going the DO route, then take your chances at Drexel and let someone truly passionate about the DO school take your place.

I think an acceptance in the hand is worth two in the bush. Since the DO degree is guaranteed at this point, you should attend if you want to be a doctor. But if your heart is set on being am MD, go to Drexel.

The 50% acceptance to Drexel med tells me that the Drexel 5 year program is no slack year. Those are kind of crappy odds for getting in. Why do you believe that you will be one of the acceptees?

I'm sensing that your heart is set on the MD route though.

While I was waitlisted at one of the DO schools, I applied and interviewed at the Drexel for the DPMS program. DPMS program is a one year post-bacc program that gives you a conditional acceptance to med school nexy year if you maintain at least 3.0 during the post-bacc and meet their MCAT requirements. HOwever, I just found out recently that I also got into a DO school. So, my question is : should I go to DO school this fall or try and go through the DPMS program.

If I do the DPMS program, I would need to retake the MCAT for the third time now( since my bio score was a 7 instead of an 8 like they require. MY undergraduate GPA is 3.6 so I am not too worried about that! Although I am more than confident that I would be able to pull off at least a 3.0 in DPMS program, I can't say for sure that I would get the MCAT scores they require to move onto Drexel Med. Also, only half of DPMS students actually get to go on to Drexel MEd. Although I always had my heart set on the MD schools, I am happy with my DO acceptance. Still, I can't help but wonder if maybe this DPMS program might actually work out.

Given your struggles with the MCAT having taken it two times and still not getting the minimum scores required for Drexel Med combined with only a 50% chance of getting in through DPMS, I would take the DO option. You have an acceptance, run with it!

It's one thing to take a year off between UG and med school to go out and enjoy life for a year experiencing things wouldn't otherwise have a chance to do if you go strait through. This is something I did and I have spent this entire year enjoying life at its fullest, because I know that in a few months this freedom will not return till i retire. I think however, that giving up an acceptance to a US medical school to go and do another year of intense work with only a 50% chance of getting in at that point is very foolish.

This is a bad idea for 2 reasons: You are effectively passing up a years worth of future physician income for 2 letters. This could be any large sum over 6 figures. Also, while giving up this year you are furthering yourself into debt to pay for this extra year. These things combine to dig yourself into a bigger hole than it is worth.

The MD vs DO question is something you need to answer for yourself.

I am accepted at a DO school and waitlisted and two MD schools...I'm happy no matter what happens at this point. DO match lists are getting stronger every year (at all the schools) and if you work hard, you'll be ok.

I would NOT do the post-bacc program and here's why:

Your GPA seems fine. If your BCPM GPA is also around a 3.5 that's fine too. All you need to improve is your MCAT.

You would be MUCH better served by studying AS HARD AS POSSIBLE for the MCAT and rocking it. Get a 32+ and you'll get into Drexel (or wherever else) anyways...

And you'll save the tuition money.

Postbaccs are really made for people that need to boost their GPA to get in. That's not you.

[[hey guys! thanks for the advice regarding the DO and Drexel DPMS option.

Would be too unethical to try and defer my DO acceptance for a year while I figure out if I would be able to do well in DPMS program and get the required MCAT?

In any case, I am just thinking about all the possible options. However, it seems that I will most probably go to the DO school and start the journey of becoming a doctor!!
user_online.gif
progress.gif

[[hey guys! thanks for the advice regarding the DO and Drexel DPMS option.

Would be too unethical to try and defer my DO acceptance for a year while I figure out if I would be able to do well in DPMS program and get the required MCAT?

In any case, I am just thinking about all the possible options. However, it seems that I will most probably go to the DO school and start the journey of becoming a doctor!!

No problem. Which DO school is it? Do you like it there? I'm in at LECOM-B and really like the school, the PBL, and the area. They also just had their first match and it went really well.

Do you know what you're thinking about specializing in? If it's something "easy" for DO's to get into, then I'd definitely go the DO route...

yeah, I got into NYCOM and LECOM, but chose LECOM!! As of right now, I would like to specialize in emergency medicine or family practice!!

yeah, I got into NYCOM and LECOM, but chose LECOM!! As of right now, I would like to specialize in emergency medicine or family practice!!

You should have ZERO trouble doing family practice as a DO. ER will take some effort but it certainly is doable.

If Drexel has 50% acceptance after post-bacc, you should look elsewhere. As someone said those are not good odds. Not to mention it looks like your MCAT is holding you back, not your GPA. This is another reason why the post-bacc will be an expensive waste of time.

If you are sure you can bring up your MCAT, then MD might be worth another shot. It looks however that it is an uphill battle. Honestly, you should probably go with one of those DO schools.

You should have ZERO trouble doing family practice as a DO. ER will take some effort but it certainly is doable.

If Drexel has 50% acceptance after post-bacc, you should look elsewhere. As someone said those are not good odds. Not to mention it looks like your MCAT is holding you back, not your GPA. This is another reason why the post-bacc will be an expensive waste of time.

If you are sure you can bring up your MCAT, then MD might be worth another shot. It looks however that it is an uphill battle. Honestly, you should probably go with one of those DO schools.

ER is actually pretty common for DO's. We have two DO's at my hospital and it's pretty common on the match list.

That being the case...I'd definitely take your DO acceptance!

Why do only half "get to go"? Is this by choice?

It's one thing to take a year off between UG and med school to go out and enjoy life for a year experiencing things wouldn't otherwise have a chance to do if you go strait through. This is something I did and I have spent this entire year enjoying life at its fullest, because I know that in a few months this freedom will not return till i retire. I think however, that giving up an acceptance to a US medical school to go and do another year of intense work with only a 50% chance of getting in at that point is very foolish.

This is a bad idea for 2 reasons: You are effectively passing up a years worth of future physician income for 2 letters. This could be any large sum over 6 figures. Also, while giving up this year you are furthering yourself into debt to pay for this extra year. These things combine to dig yourself into a bigger hole than it is worth.

This poster makes very good points. medschool08, what were your 2 MCAT score breakdowns? I really think you should go DO (I mean, you're posting this on the pre-allo board so of course you're gonna get people telling you to stick with MD no matter what), but if we know how you've scored on the MCAT in the past that might help too. I really think it would be silly to take out more loans and take more classes when you already have an acceptance. Remember that DO students can apply for both osteopathic and allopathic residencies. Here's a list of the DO EM residencies.

Take the DO acceptance. You will be a doctor no matter what. If in the future you do not get the MCAT score Drexel requires, you would regret not taking that DO acceptance you once had. Remember, getting into med school is more and more competitive every year.

Unless you just absolutely need the "MD" after your name I would take the acceptance. Just one less year of extra tuition (looks like the DPMS program is ~22k) and one less year waiting for your physician's salary.

So, to answer some of your questions, I don't know the exact reason why only half of those DPMS students make it into Drexel Med. According to the admissions people, some come really close, but may have a 2.95 GPA instead of a 3.0 and so they don't make it!

Regarding my MCAT score, I honestly don't know what went wrong with it!
Score breakdown is: 7B, 8P and 9V. Since English is not my native language, I always thought that verbal would be the one section I would do worst in( as I usually did on my practice tests). I don't know why I have a 7 in Bio. I have almost all A's in my BIO classes such as biochem, physio, immuno or genetics. But, I guess I just didn't have luck that day or something!!

Anyways, I really appreciate all of your advice and I think I will go for the DO and become the best doctor that I can be!!!

So, to answer some of your questions, I don't know the exact reason why only half of those DPMS students make it into Drexel Med. According to the admissions people, some come really close, but may have a 2.95 GPA instead of a 3.0 and so they don't make it!

Regarding my MCAT score, I honestly don't know what went wrong with it!
Score breakdown is: 7B, 8P and 9V. Since English is not my native language, I always thought that verbal would be the one section I would do worst in( as I usually did on my practice tests). I don't know why I have a 7 in Bio. I have almost all A's in my BIO classes such as biochem, physio, immuno or genetics. But, I guess I just didn't have luck that day or something!!

Anyways, I really appreciate all of your advice and I think I will go for the DO and become the best doctor that I can be!!!

I am kind of in the same boat as you because I have a DO acceptance and an MD waitlist, but I am different in that I did a postbacc and ended up with a 29P MCAT (10PS, 10VR, 09BS) and a 3.7 GPA. At the end of the day medical schools are becoming more and more competitive like the previous poster said. I don't regret going the postbac route if the MD school does not pan out. I do however take a deep breath when I think about how I might have gotten accepted to a DO school anyway without having to do a postbac program in the first place. It is something to think about, but me personally, I would take the acceptance and run with it.

You don't think you will score at least a 23 on the MCAT?? Well, I would go with the DO acceptance then, this way you don't have that uncertainty hanging over you, that is, even if you get the 3.0 and don't get the 23, you are in a worse position applicant-wise (as you would have previously turned down an acceptance to med-school and med-schools don't look a that favorably) and may not even get into any med school MD or DO.

Well, that is what I would do if I were you.

:luck::luck:

Edit: Just remember that either way you will be a doc and will be able to practice medicine and see patients which is the ultimate goal

Well, I probably could increase my MCAT score to at least a 26, but the problem is that Drexel DPMS program requires that you need to have at least an 8 in Physics and Bio regardless if you have a total score of 24 or 34. So, I could get a 29 and still not meet their MCAT requirements.

Well, I probably could increase my MCAT score to at least a 26, but the problem is that Drexel DPMS program requires that you need to have at least an 8 in Physics and Bio regardless if you have a total score of 24 or 34. So, I could get a 29 and still not meet their MCAT requirements.

It's altogether too risky. I mean, think about all the conditions and 'if' statements you've made while referring to the post bac compared to a guaranteed acceptance to an established DO school. A DO school will give you a perfectly fine chance of matching EM and FM, and any other residency you want (if you're willing to work for it). Take it and don't look back, I really doubt you'll regret it, but I could see someone regretting skipping that year of doctor salary, or (even worse) doing a post bac and some how becoming a portion of that 50% who doesn't do Drexel.