MD preliminary surgery to osteopathic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rezin385

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests: Is it possible to do a preliminary surgery year at an ACGME program then reapply the following year for an osteopathic categorical PGY-2 spot? or even an osteopathic PGY-1 spot?

Gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Not my experience, but I know someone who has.

ArcherM2, I'm PMed you because I'm curious about your program over at AGH

Members don't see this ad :)
As the title suggests: Is it possible to do a preliminary surgery year at an ACGME program then reapply the following year for an osteopathic categorical PGY-2 spot? or even an osteopathic PGY-1 spot?

Gracias!

Yes, my mentor did so. I don't think it is a recommended pathway though..it sounded very stressful and there were few certainties in the process. You would basically have to bank on a program having an open PGY-2 position for you to just plop into.

He only did it because his preliminary program dropped him and he had to find a place that would take him. Very risky.

If you go for one of the more competitive specialties (i.e. neurosurgery, urology, ENT, etc) and don't match via the DO route, does anyone know the difficulty or likelihood of being able to match into a DO general surgery spot the next year? I'm kind of on the boarder of competitiveness for the more competitive specialties and was trying to come up with a game plan if I don't match.