May 13, 2016
Status
Post Doc
Hello All,
To become a Physician Scientist is my dream but due to my over qualifications (B.V.Sc, M.V.Sc, PhD) most of the Universities of USA discouraged me to apply for MD/PhD program as an international applicant. If some one else knows, would you please suggest to me some alternative options to hurdle expenses of MD program from USA .I would be grateful to you if you could help me in this regard.
Thanks.
With Kind Regards,
Dr.Sat

bon22

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would say if you have a PhD, just apply to good 'ol med school and make sure the school's you apply to have good research programs.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Well the only certain method to cut costs would be military. The USUHS is tuition-free but comes with a 7-year service commitment in any of the military branches or the public health service.

Considering your background, many classical MD programs will most likely consider you for scholarships. Apply broadly to research oriented schools and hope for the best. Alternatively, Canadian medical schools are cheaper and have a good reputation. I know several physicians who received their MD in Canada to avoid debt and now run very successful practices in the US (like 750k/year or more successful)

Good luck my friend!

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Probably still at work
You would not be permitted to be in MD/PhD programs at all, because almost all of them will not let those who have a PhD be in the program. They know it's basically a way for you to get free tuition because you will not be paying the school in research.

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
If those degrees are foreign, you will need to retake coursework in the US before being able to apply. Just another point to consider

thatwouldbeanarchy

2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Well the only certain method to cut costs would be military. The USUHS is tuition-free but comes with a 7-year service commitment in any of the military branches or the public health service.
Not sure of OP's citizenship status but USUHS only accepts U.S. citizens.

Unfortunately, the financial situation for international applicants is challenging. Private loans are an option but not really a good one. Maybe do some research and see if there are schools out there that give institutional aid to international applicants? Even so, though, you'd probably need to take out some private loans unless you have significant personal savings/family help. Keep in mind that private loans often have really high interests rates and don't offer income-based repayment plans.