MD Pursuing Dentistry and OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2BCan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds far fetched

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are a few programs out there that accommodate for people doing OMFS who went to MD programs first. Michigan, Penn, and Alabama have such programs, there are likely other if you look into it.

I would suggest emailing/calling the program directors. Those faculty are usually receptive to the idea. A guy in my class did just what you are referring to. He went to med school, did dental school here (UofM) in 3 years, and is now a resident.

Let it be said though, if you don't like working with your hands "too much", I don't know that OMFS would be much more up your alley. It's a very hands on residency, and even in private practice, you aren't making any $$ if you aren't doing hands on procedures. The life style is great, but it's the procedures that pay.

Same with general dentistry. Lifestyle is great, but you better want to get your hands dirty if you plan to make any cash. That said, it really is a great profession!! If it appeals to you, go for it!!