1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MD Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by wallawalla, Aug 28, 1999.

1. wallawalla

wallawalla Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Two questions:

1. Which 5 states are the ones in which you have to do an osteopathic internship in order to gain a license to practice medicine in that state?

2. In those states, can a DO match into an MD residency without having done an osteopathic internship? and if so, will there be any accreditation problems along the way in term of state licensure and MD board certification?

Thanks much for any answers.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician
    10+ Year Member

1: PA, WV, OK, FL, MI

2: It is very hard to do that. The program has to make an extreme exception for you, as you will not be licensed after you take your part three and thus will not be able to write some of the Rx. You will have your "educational license" and will be, depending on the hospital, write in-house Rx but not outpatient. Also no chance for you to make extra cash by moonlighting.

4. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their correct name(s).

AOA residencies are for DO graduates of US AOA schools.

ACGME residencies are open to US DOs, MD grads from LCME & Canadian schools and physicians with current ECFMG certificates.
    There is at least one osteopathic school with an ACGME residency (MSU-COM's PMR residency).
    An ACGME residency is not an 'MD' or 'allopathic' residency.
    After successfully completing an ACGME residency one is ABMS board eligible. Again, it is not 'MD' board certification.

1. FL does not require an AOA internship. It accepts an ACGME PG-1, but requires the same rotations as the AOA rotating internship.

2. It is NOT difficult to attain an ACGME residency in one of the previously mentioned states nor do you have be be an exception.
    I am doing it in PA and I know several DOs in MI and OK doing the same. The residency program never brought the issue up...it is a non-issue with them.

[This message has been edited by prefontaine (edited September 01, 1999).]

5. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    prefontaine,

Inquiring minds want to know in what field you are completing your ACGME residency. Is it a university-affiliated program?

6. wallawalla

wallawalla Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I extend my eternal thanks to 'Yoda' for his above reply. My sarcasm would continue, but it is obvious 'The Running Man' knows his stuff.

Please clarify the following, however:

>"After successfully completing an ACGME residency one is ABMS board eligible. Again, it is not 'MD' board certification."

What does "ABMS" stand for?

>"1. FL does not require an AOA internship. It accepts an ACGME PG-1, but requires the same rotations as the AOA rotating internship."

I am unclear as to the exact meaning of the above. Do you mean that FL is NOT one of the states that requires an AOA rotating internship for DOs to ultimately be eligible for state licensure post-residency? or do you mean that DOs must simply show that their ACGME residency PGY-1 year was comprised of the same rotations as a rotating internship? or do you mean something else entirely?

>"2. It is NOT difficult to attain an ACGME residency in one of the previously mentioned states nor do you have be be an exception.
    I am doing it in PA and I know several DOs in MI and OK doing the same. The residency program never brought the issue up...it is a none-issue with them."

I had heard the same thing about PA from someone in the Class of 1999 who interviewed at a program there. So what I am hearing from you is that applying to programs in MI and PA is non-issue because your licensure is under the umbrella of the hospital for the duration of your residency. But what about moonlighting opportunities? and am I correct in thinking that WV,PA,FL,OK, and MI still require that rotating internship for ultimate post-residency state licensure?

7. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician
    10+ Year Member

I am applying to ACGME ER programs as we speak. I did all of my core rotations in Michigan. I can tell you that I have not heard of any DO medical student going directly, without completing the AOA internship, into an ACGME residency in Michigan.

There are actually three ACGME-AOA approved programs at MSU-COM (Emergency Med, PMR, and Family Med)..However, as a DO student you must complete your AOA approved internship prior to going into these programs as well.

I also spoke with the residency director at Henry Ford (for Anesthesiology) and he said that AOA internship is a must (because of licensure issues during residency years) however for Anesthesiology they count your AOA internship as year one..so you don?t have to repeat the year. Most other programs do not do this.

As far as the rest of the ACGME programs go I have spoken to few ER directors and they have said that it is up to the individual programs but it will be extremely hard if you want to practice/do residency in one of those five states (most programs require you to have/be qualified for a state license by the end of your second year). And you will not be able to moonlight.

I have also heard that FL is the easiest of the five states when it comes to making exemptions...

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited September 01, 1999).]

8. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You missed the subtleness of my point. There are a # of residencies at MSU-COM that are AOA/ACGME dual approved, (add psych to the list), however PMR is the only program that is originally/primarily sponsored by the osteopathic medical school. The others originated &/or are co-sponsored by the CHM or some other group.

Look in the greenbook under sponsoring organizations and find MSU-COM and perhaps this will clarify my point. As far as I know, this is the only osteopathic program that is also ACGME. Other dual programs are ACGME programs that also have AOA approval.

ABMS = American Board of Medical Specialties

For FL, the ACGME PG-1 must include the requirements of the AOA rotating internship, eg OB/GYN, surgery, primary care, peds, etc.

Many programs do not allow moonlighting and it is not something that I was interested in. However, I do know that I could moonlight in the next state (just across the bridge) if I really wanted to.

Also, there are 'backdoor' methods to licensure (in PA and OK, I don't know or care about MI or WV). This is something that I will not broadcast at this time, though I am sure someone else can figure it out.

I am in a university program and if an inquiring mind can guess in what field(s), I will acknowledge the correct response.

[This message has been edited by prefontaine (edited September 01, 1999).]

9. wallawalla

wallawalla Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll guess that you are a PM&R doc.

10. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

PCOM has a AOA and ACGME accredited residency program in Emergency Medicine.

[This message has been edited by Sheon (edited September 03, 1999).]

11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

The statements made about internships in Florida is incorrect. Please see my post in "FL Residency" in this same forum. Equivalency of the training is the smallest hurdle to overcome when trying to get an ACGME internship year approved by the AOA.

Make no doubt about it...Florida requires an AOA internship year and it is nearly impossible to get an ACGME internship year approved by the AOA in it's place. I am very close with someone who sits on the board which hears ALL of these "hardship" cases and have discussed this issue with him at length.

If you still have further questions contact the Florida Osteopathic Medical Assn (www.foma.org) or call the Florida Osteopathic Medical Board in Tallahassee.