Oct 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi there, I just received my MCAT score of 28 (with a 7 in VR) and am really disappointed. I read somewhere on here that some schools don't even look at your app if you have below an 8 in any subtest... that seems a little harsh, is that true? I'm not looking at top tier med schools either...

I got 30, 28, 30 on my official practice tests, so I don't know if it's worth retaking. I know I can always study more, but I tried really hard for this one. (I completed the other practice tests too but they weren't timed so I am disregarding their scores- but they were also in this range)

I have a 3.6 overall/3.3 sci GPA from a top 20 university and my extracurricular are fine.

I'm happy to go to any MD school... do I have a shot or should I try to retake? I don't know if getting, say, a 30 on a retake would make any difference or even hurt my chances because it's not a huge improvement.

Are there any specific schools I have a better chance at with a 28 MCAT? I'm an Illinois resident btw.

Any advice?
Thanks!

claduva94

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Possible? Yes. Will a 7 cause you difficulty? Yes.

lal4life

7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had really similar numbers to yours. I got a 28 with a 7 in VR. I had a little bit higher GPA. I applied to somewhere between 20-30 MD programs throughout various regions in the country and didn't get an interview invite. I was a CA resident and none of those schools came anywhere near me. I think it was the 7 that got me.

That being said, I applied to 3 DO schools and got into all 3 of them. I'm a 3rd year student now and have already taken my boards and could be competitive for just about any field. I can tell you that DO schools can make you a competitive candidate.

I guess you have options since it's essentially too late this cycle to get in, so you're basically talking about next year. If you study hard, you could bump up that MCAT score by April or May of next year and hope it's high enough for some MD schools to offer some interviews, or you could wait until next year without taking it and apply to some DO schools as well. The biggest key to all of this will be get your application in the day it opens (or at the very least within a week).

I took a lot of thought about whether to retake it after I got my score, and I can tell you without a doubt that I'm glad I didn't I'm very happy where I am and am glad I can have open options for my future.

Reactions: acciouno

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Apply DO too.

I got a 7 on VR and got in - but I had a much higher overall score and GPA. The 28 hurts more than the 7.

Ophthoseidon

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
A 28 with a 7 is a hard bargain. A 28 without a 7 is hard enough. You have a chance (albeit small) because you have some friendly schools in Illinois, but I'd apply both MD (30-30) and DO if I were you.

stickshifthonda

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
It's possible based on friend's stats and their successes but is very difficult. You have to have something else that stands out in your application.

I have a 7 in a subsection and have heard only rejections and silence from MD schools so far.

Oct 14, 2013
Consider DO and up-and-coming MD schools. Low sGPA and low MCAT do not bode well with admissions.

Aug 5, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
The problem with retaking is you are looking at an entirely different MCAT which would require learning a lot of new material. I'd just keep the score and apply broadly to BOTH MD and DO.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: Sirphillup

Pasmal

PGY1
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2013
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Southern or Northern IL?

If southern you should have a good shot at SIU.
I'd say OP has a shot at SIU depending on the rest of the app, but if retaking is an option, a balanced MCAT even a couple points higher would go a long way. As others have said, you are competitive for DO as it stands.

dxcrunner

5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I believe SIU only looks at the last MCAT that you take. So if you score better or worse on the 2nd one, that is the one they look at. So if you feel you can do better after some more studying, Definitely retake. Also, as long as you have your app in by SIU's deadline, they will consider you as they do NOT work on rolling admissions.

Pasmal

PGY1
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2013
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
as long as you have your app in by SIU's deadline, they will consider you as they do NOT work on rolling admissions.
I have a classmate who submitted on the deadline and got in, this is accurate