MD Schools in Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigletgurl90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here. I took the MCAT on may 18th, nervously awaiting my score. I plan on applying to all four schools here on the island, and I would like to know if anyone here has applied and gotten accepted. I want to know what would be considered a competitive MCAT score and GPA. Thanks for any help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you check out the school specific thread? They might already have a few threads posted for those schools. I'm not positive though

hey, I can't speak from personal experience but I do know a friend from college who is going to ponce school of medicine. he is of puerto rican descent and a lot of his family lives there still. he is also fluent in spanish. based on what he told me, these seemed to be important factors for admission since he did not grow up in puerto rico. his MCAT was 27 and GPA was between 3.4-3.5. I don't happen to know what the school averages are but it should be in the MSAR book, which you can buy a copy of online. best of luck

according to amcas data sets 20+21, the average student from puerto rico matriculating to a medical school had mcat 22.9 (+/- 4.1), gpa 3.59 (+/- .32) and their applicants had mcat 19.9 (+/- 5.1), gpa 3.37(+/- .43). it's probly safe to assume most of them went to puerto rican schools, and that that is an accurate measure of the schools' numbers. these are much lower than any states' numbers

granted, if don't speak spanish fluently, you probly won't get in. and if you're not puerto rican, from the island, or hispanic, i would guess you have some explaining to do. im don't know the details though