Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MD student from the philippines interested in getting DO trainning

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by doc marcus conradus, May 28, 2002.

1. doc marcus conradus

doc marcus conradus Junior Member

im a 3rd year medical student (MD) from the philippines and i have done some reading about osteopathic medicine. First and foremost i like the holistic philosophy which you DOs say you uphold. I also like the idea of diagnosing and treating with the use of your hands.

I was wondering if there are any institutions there that offer osteophatic traning for foreign md graduates. Or do I have to go through the entire 4 years of osteopathic school?

I thought of going to the uk, but i read that osteopaths there are not full physicians.

Well as far as i know there are no osteopaths here. There are those who uphold the holistic approach but I don't think there are any physicians with training in OMM and OMT.

It would be a pleasure to hear from you. For me it would be a great honor to be a pioneer of osteopathic medicine here in my home country.

Thanks alot!

I

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I believe NYCOM has one of those biggest programs..

<a href="http://www.nycom.edu" target="_blank">www.nycom.edu</a>

look under their Osteopathic Medicine program for emigre physicians...

Mike

actually I found the direct link, click below:
    <a href="http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/future/fut_emigre.htm" target="_blank">http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/future/fut_emigre.htm</a>

4. doc marcus conradus

doc marcus conradus Junior Member

Thanks for the link mike! Another 3 years after medical school is not bad considering the fact that I'll have the initials M.D., D.O. after my name. Anyways I'm only 22 years old!

Thanks again!

5. HenryMD

HenryMD New Member

I have an MD from the Philippines and also interested in Osteopathic medicine. I am an ECFMG certified, US citizen who did not successfully match this year and I'm not having much luck finding a post-match vacancy. I did most of my 4th year here and did a summer externship with a DO who was quite excellent. Since I graduated in '99, my "time-out" of school is becoming a greater issue as the days go by.
    Does anyone know if I would have to take the MCAT again? I passed both steps of the USMLE with competetive scores on Step 2.

6. community

community Senior Member

HenryMD,
    Are you saying that after spending 4 yrs in medical school that you would actually apply to a DO program only to repeat everything all over again? What are you trying to match in? Are you limiting yourself by state? Is it really that hard to match with a foreign MD?

7. amayer24

amayer24 Member

The APEP program at NYCOM is for foreign medical graduates. It is a 3 year program that includes 2 years basic sciences and 1 year rotations. Also the APEP students do not have take any labs during the basic sciences years. It is a pretty good program for people that have a hard time matching as fmgs. I would say its pretty tough program to get into. Only about 40 students get accepted every year. You dont need MCATs for this program.
    I would consider it only if you are not able to match to any program at all. Or if you are trying to match into a competitive residency spot, but then there is no guarantee that you will get the spot that you want after completing the APEP program at NYCOM. Its tough and you have to weigh your options. Going through the 3 years after completing 4 years of med school already, is hard.

Good Luck

8. drfeelgood

drfeelgood In Gas We Trust

Attending Physician
    If you guys wanted to practice medicine in America, why didn't you guys try to go to MD/DO school here in the first place. What's wrong with practicing medicine on the islands??? You were willing to go to med school there right???

I don't get your logic.

9. Stillfocused

Stillfocused Senior Member

Hi doc marcus conradus,

From your post it seems like you are mainly interested in OPP/OMM not practicing in the States or doing a residency here. Am I correct?

If what you want to do is bring Osteopathy back to the Philippines and if you feel already feel comfortable with your training in Orthodox medicine then maybe you should consider an Osteopathic school in Europe.

Although they have neither full practice rights nor a comprehensive medical education they do have extensive training in OMM. US students are required to have 200 hours of OMM instruction while European students receive considerably more training in OMM.

The British School of Osteopathy (BSO) and the European School of Osteopathy seem to be the most prominent.

This website has a fairly comprehensive list of worldwide osteopathic resources.
    <a href="http://www.osteopathicmedicine.org/html/members.html#f" target="_blank">http://www.osteopathicmedicine.org/html/members.html#f</a>

How much training in OMM/OPP do FMG students at NYCOM get in OPP/OMM?

10. HenryMD

HenryMD New Member

I am not limiting myself at all in any category. I have the 2002 GME directory and I call everyday. I've called every single program in IM, FP, TY and Prelim-Surgery. The openings just aren't out there. Now this may change in the next few weeks but I tossed the ? out there b/c one must have a back up plan.