MD student offered osteopathic residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imthere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US citizen IMG went to a Carib school, and recently I rotated at an osteopathic hospital with a residency program I'm really interested in. After speaking to the program director he said that they would be willing to offer me a position in their program next year. It is currently AOA accredited but not yet ACGME accredited.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages in accepting this position as a MD student? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You're about to graduate from a Caribbean school and would be guaranteed a residency.

Take it and run.

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate all the responses so far. It's not a preliminary position, however I have a similar offer from an allopathic residency, although I prefer the osteopathic program. My question was if there are any disadvantages in choosing the osteopathic program being that I'm an MD, any disadvantages regarding fellowships in the future and so on.

More like Caribbean student offered osteopathic residency

Reactions: 6 users
I appreciate all the responses so far. It's not a preliminary position, however I have a similar offer from an allopathic residency, although I prefer the osteopathic program. My question was if there are any disadvantages in choosing the osteopathic program being that I'm an MD, any disadvantages regarding fellowships in the future and so on.

It will be a matter of what history the program has matching its residency graduates to fellowships. Do both programs have a site that shows where their residents get fellowships after they complete their training? If not, try to ask the PDs what fellowship do their residents enter after finishing their respective program.

If the program is not ACGME accreditied, you will not be able to sit for the ABMS board exam.

If you are not a DO, then you CAN NOT sit for the ABOME exam.

Now if the program is not YET Acgme accredited but plans to in the coming years, as long as the program has achieved preliminary accreditation by the time you graduate, then you can sit for the ABMS certification exam. Specifically I know this to be the case in my specialty, Emergency Medicine. The ABEM will allow a resident to sit for their exam if they are accredited by ACGME at the time of their graduation. I am not 100% sure if that is the case for the other specialty boards.

You NEED to know where they are in the ACGME accreditation process before accepting that residency. If they do not become ACGME accredited, then you have completed an residency without the chance for board certification, and that defeats the entire purpose.

Reactions: 12 users
Did they hand you a contract to sign? If the answer is no, then you have not been offered a spot. Don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a meeting with the PD and CEO this coming week, they said I couldve started this year if I was completely graduated due to some unfilled slots currently. I just wanna say I appreciate all the information on what sort of questions to ask when I meet with them later this week. As for my hopes I never get to high or to low I understand nothing is guaranteed, but as I don't know much about DO residency coming from my position I figured to ask for everyone's opinions and I'm grateful for all the info you guys have provided thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the odds of them giving you an off-cycle January position? Would you be completely graduated by then? It's probably worth inquiring. Take it and run!

I'm a US citizen IMG went to a Carib school, and recently I rotated at an osteopathic hospital with a residency program I'm really interested in. After speaking to the program director he said that they would be willing to offer me a position in their program next year. It is currently AOA accredited but not yet ACGME accredited.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages in accepting this position as a MD student? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
As a US-MD student, this would be a poor choice, barring personal reasons lie geography.

As a Carib grad, you should take it and run

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you're a reasonably competitive candidate (no step/semester failures, etc) in an non-competitive field, you certainly don't have to accept this offer just because you're a Caribbean grad. People comparing this to winning the lotto just have no idea what they are talking about. There will be >6000 ACGME positions for IMGs in this coming year's match.

Now if you actually do like the program, than it may be a good idea. But the things you are worried about definitely will be an issue. Matching into an ACGME fellowship from an osteopathic residency program, even if it is ACGME certified by the time you graduate, will no doubt be more difficult than coming from a straight allopathic program. This is especially the case seeing as the osteopathic program doesn't seem to be very desirable, as they still have open slots for this year. If you want to pursue a fellowship eventually, your goal should be to get into the best (i.e. university) residency program you can. It doesn't sound like this program fits the bill.

But if you do have red flags when applying, then disregard everything I wrote and take it and run.

Read topic title. Thought he meant an actual MD student.

Ask, point blank, what would be your end game as far as Board certification. If they aren't going to pursue ACGME certification, and don't have a clear pathway for how you can get past your Board exams, then they are just looking for cheap labor to fill the spots while they wind their program down. And since you are already a Caribbean med student, they know that you are willing to take bad deals, if you are desperate enough.

Maybe they are planning to get certified, or they do have a waiver of some sort so that you could get Board certified. Only way to find those things out is to ask. If everything looks good, then no reason not to jump on the opportunity. A seat that you have is better than any seat that you don't (and might not get.)

Reactions: 3 users
ACGME accreditation is key as others have said. I would recommend you stay very far away from this program until they get ACGME accredited. The fact that they have unfilled spots and are courting Caribbean students outside the match is already two red flags. Stick with the program that's already accredited.

On a side note looks like this "merger" is working out really well for DOs - AOA programs offering spots to caribbean students outside the match - what a huge win for DOs! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
On a side note looks like this "merger" is working out really well for DOs - AOA programs offering spots to caribbean students outside the match - what a huge win for DOs! :rolleyes:

Sounds like it's working out to me. I want these programs out.

Another thing to keep in mind - if the residency is not ACGME accredited when you start the program, the years that you do (while pending provisional accreditation) may not count towards state license.

As a foreign medical graduate, the requirements will differ from US MDs or US DOs when it comes to number of years needed to complete in order to obtain an unrestricted license.

Each state has their own criteria. And since you're not a DO, the AOA accreditation won't apply to you when it comes to license since you need ACGME

https://www.fsmb.org/licensure/usmle-step-3/state_specific

Another thing to keep in mind - if the residency is not ACGME accredited when you start the program, the years that you do (while pending provisional accreditation) may not count towards state license.

As a foreign medical graduate, the requirements will differ from US MDs or US DOs when it comes to number of years needed to complete in order to obtain an unrestricted license.

Each state has their own criteria. And since you're not a DO, the AOA accreditation won't apply to you when it comes to license since you need ACGME

https://www.fsmb.org/licensure/usmle-step-3/state_specific

While that is technically true, it is not unreasonable to hope that some State Boards would grant waivers for years of training in an AOA program that subsequently achieved ACMGE accreditation. With all such things, there are the rules, and then there is what is actually possible if you know to ask the right questions.

That said, getting by on waivers should never be Plan A. Throwing yourself on the mercy of a State Board is what you do when nothing else is going to work, where the only path forward involves getting the rule makers to make an exception for your pitiful situation (because doing so serves their interests.)

You're seeing one instance and generalizing. So is your point even valid?

I said before that these AOA programs that historically had trouble filling would turn to caribbean students. You guys told me I was being an alarmist and that everything would turn out great and the "merger" was a huge win for DOs. Turns out what I warned about is happening and in a way that is worse than what I had envisioned (offering spots outside the match). You continue to be in denial and @Goro posts a non sequitur about malignant programs. Good luck with your first day of med school.

I said before that these AOA programs that historically had trouble filling would turn to caribbean students. You guys told me I was being an alarmist and that everything would turn out great and the "merger" was a huge win for DOs. Turns out what I warned about is happening and in a way that is worse than what I had envisioned (offering spots outside the match). You continue to be in denial and @Goro posts a non sequitur about malignant programs. Good luck with your first day of med school.
o_O I've sat back and watched the debate but haven't really gotten involved. Not sure how I'm "in denial" about any of this.

Still, I don't really get how you deserve your little victory lap here, seeing as ACGME residencies have taken IMGs for years. Granted that AOA programs are just now opening up to such applicants, this is still one instance.

And thanks! I'm excited.

Reactions: 2 users
o_O I've sat back and watched the debate but haven't really gotten involved. Not sure how I'm "in denial" about any of this.

Still, I don't really get how you deserve your little victory lap here, seeing as ACGME residencies have taken IMGs for years. Granted that AOA programs are just now opening up to such applicants, this is still one instance.

And thanks! I'm excited.

MeatTornado rarely resists the opportunity for a snide anti-DO comment.