1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MD student with DO externship

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by corisa, Mar 26, 2001.

1. corisa

corisa Junior Member

I'm an allopathic medical school student finishing my first year. (Yeah!!!) I was accepted to a summer program for aspiring family physicians where you work with one for a month in between your first and second years of school. The family physician I am placed with is a DO. I never researched DO school or the philosophy prior to applying to med school, so I don't know much about it. From what I understand the two degrees are basically the same, except for manipulations which someone in my class who had applied told me about. Is there anything different that I should expect while following around this physician this summer? Thanks!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Expect a human sacrifice to A.T. Still every morning, and then 20 squat thrusts to circulate your "vital humors".
    Then you will be ready to go!!

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Gosh. Don't let it get out that your medical school is conducting training with D.O.'s. Someone might get the idea that the degrees are similar...

Seriously, you will probably not notice much of a difference in treatment methods between MD/DO physician mentors unless you are paired with a D.O. who specializes in OMT; then you will get an eyeful. However, there aren't many around who specialize in OMT treatment, but to hear them talk they are turning away business because they are so busy.

One thing to notice about the patient contact is how often the D.O. touches his patient. I will be willing to wager that your D.O. has more contacts per patient that an M.D. It is just something we get comfortable doing after 2 years of OMT labs, and it has become second nature to myself and most of my classmates.

5. drewdo

drewdo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I like Freeedom's answer, but it's not that retro. And any over-the-top homage to A.T. Still can only be expected from KCOM students who fall victim to the overwhelming propaganda there [​IMG] I am fully looking forward to starting DO school this fall, but am weary of a medical field that "owes" so much tribute to one person. Any scientist knows that a vast collective knowledge is what strengthens the delivery of medicine. Here's the basic philosophy of osteopathy: 1. The body functions as whole, integrated system; 2. Impedence to any part of that system can affect any other part of the body. 3. Restrictions and impedences can be alleviated through the use of manipulative therapy. Thus, osteopathy originally started (by A.T. Still) has a drug-free practice. Still was heavily anti-drugs. His father was an M.D. and Still grew up in a time where dangerous and ineffective drugs were commonplace. Through of a bunch of possible influences, such as bonesetting, homeopathy, magneticism, etc, Still developed a system of bone manipulations that proved quite effective. In order for his osteopathic school to be fully acknowledged by the state of Missouri, subject areas typical of traditional medical schools needed to be taught, and eventually DO's started looking more like MD's. But what has survived since Still started his first school in Kirksville in 1892, is a belief that mind-body-soul connections exist, and patients should be treated as a complex, integrated system. Patients and students are attracted to osteopathy because of its more holistic approach. Of course, there are less-than-stellar students who are attracted to osteopathy because it's sometimes easier to get in if you have a lot of experience, worldy wisdom, maturity and other qualities that supposedly substitute for a high gpa and mcat score. Thus, many people attend DO schools just to be able to practice medicine, while some DO's continue to practice manipulation and believe strongly in the osteopathic philsophy. Because of the strong presence of this philosophy, many DO's tend towards family practice, more so than MD's. Hope that helps.

------------------
    Drewdo

6. corisa

corisa Junior Member

Thanks for your replies.
    I've been doing some research and it seems like I should expect him to be just like any other family doctor that I've followed. While reading past posts here to try to gain some insight, I came across what I thought of to be a lot of adversity between MD and DO students. After receiving the posts that I did to my inquiry, it seems as though the DOs are willing to work with the MDs in the grand scheme of the medical team. I think that is how it should be. Thanks!