MD - unbalanced stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chenzt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshmen and sophomore year was not my best years, but did manage to turn things around a bit.

GPA: 3.52 with upward trend. 3.50 sGPA
3.16, 3.41, 3.59, and 3.81 FR-SO-JR-SR
MCAT: 39Q
P–14 V–12 B–13
Extracurricular activities:
150 hours shadowing surgeon, ER, primary care, anesthesiology, neonatal, pediatric, ob/gyn and newborn medicine
Volunteered at community college tutoring english for immigrants - 300hrs or so
Volunteered at hospital - 160hrs - during the summer mostly and spring of 2013
Volunteered and was an officer for my school's ACS chapter. Visited middle schools performing chemistry demonstrations.
2 summers of diabetic research and 1 semester of biochem research. Publications in JCI and JBC as 2nd and 3rd author.
worked l as a high school tutor freshmen year as my work-study job
worked at dining hall So, Jr, Sr year 15hrs/week
Assistant to summer reading academy for middle school students
Gen chem assistant

Plan on applying to americorps during off year, hopefully something comes along.

Asian
Boston College - Biochemistry major

From Pennsylvania
All PA MD schools - Pittsburgh is my top choice
BU, tufts, Creighton, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, Vermont, NY medical, Albany, Einstein, St. Louis, GW, Georgetown, WVU, Marshall, Case, VT, East Virginia, Franklin, Tulane, MC Wisconsin, Emory and Loyola.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
any thoughts on chances?

I don't think Pitt will happen but overall MD shot is strong. Apply broadly and heavily. The GPA will screen you out at some places. If you just apply to the top 20, you will not get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You did a super job, so nothing wrong with aiming high.

Suggest adding Brown, NYU (maybe..I don't have my MSAR with me) USC, Vanderbilt, Rochester

From Pennsylvania
BU, tufts, Creighton, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, Vermont, NY medical, Albany, Einstein, St. Louis, GW, Georgetown, WVU, Marshall, Case, VT, East Virginia, Franklin, Tulane, MC Wisconsin, Emory and Loyola.

You did a super job, so nothing wrong with aiming high.

Suggest adding Brown, NYU (maybe..I don't have my MSAR with me) USC, Vanderbilt, Rochester

From Pennsylvania

Don't bother applying to Brown. Their students are almost all from their UG. Vandy is a good suggestion. How about Duke? Your gpa is low, but that also is determined by where you went for UG. Was it a small LAC, a large public, or a mid-size top 20 private research uni?

Your gpa is low, but that also is determined by where you went for UG. Was it a small LAC, a large public, or a mid-size top 20 private research uni?

Boston College, 9000 undergraduate with good research presence in chemistry and biology.