MD v. DO internationally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seacatch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a few opinions regarding oppotunities for DOs to practice internationally. I'm considering DO schools for my future but I want to work internationally. Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to permanently re-locate or go temporarily to do mission or foreign aid work?

There are some places that won't let US DOs get a permanent license while they will do so for US MDs. There are many places that won't give a permanent license to any US trained doc (or it is very hard to do so).

If you are wanting to do something along the line of missions/foreign aid trips, then its pretty different. Almost all of the countries in need will allow US physicians to come in and provide medical care, regardless of the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info. I'm a non traditional premed (Mom to a 4yr old... and OLD).... My current thinking is that I will split my time between the US and foreign aid. It is possible I will want to relocate to a country in need. We'll see in 10 years... just want to keep my options open. DO schools may be a good fit for me, I just don't want to be limited internationally.

Thanks again.

I have looked into this extensively (as I am a 3rd year DO student who wants to possibly practice in India). Though some countries (esp. European countries) do limit the practice rights, most countries grant full practice rights. I know some of the countries that appear restricted online will actually grant you privledges so long as you take and pass their local boards (most of which are given in English). I suggest you focus in on researching particular countries in which you may be interested

all the best

You mentioned India. Do you know specifically about India and Nepal?

Old info, but its all I have:

India
Year of Last Request: 1999
Scope of Practice: undetermined
The AOA received a response to its 1998 inquiry regarding licensure of US-trained DOs. The Medical Council of India stated that osteopathic medicine degree is not recognized for the purpose of IMC Act, 1956. However, they did state that a DO might apply after getting Indian nationality and after implementation of screening test Regulation/Provision in the Indian medical Council Act.
Contact: Medical Council of India A. S. Rahi, Deputy Secretary Aiwan-E-Galib Marg, Kotla Road New Delhi 110002 INDIA

Nepal
Year of Last Request: 1993
Scope of Practice: unlimited
The Nepalese Minister of Health granted full practice rights to osteopathic physicians upon the AOA's first and only request. Full practice rights will be granted after approval by the Nepal Medical Council and the acquisition of a visa from the Immigration Department.
Contact: Nepal Medical Council Sidhdhi Sadan Exhibition Road Katmandu, NEPAL

Just a word of mention.

If you look at that listing posted on the other website, many of the countries listed have not been petitioned in many, many years (10 years for Nepal, for example).

So, just because it is not on the list, doesn't mean that things are still the same.

Good luck.

It's important to remember that many of the countries which do not accept DOs for permanent licensure do not accept American MDs either, as many of these countries have state run healthcare which doesnt blend well with "outside influence". On the other hand, if you travel with any of the foreign doctor aid groups such as Doctors Without Borders or DO-Cares you wont have a problem.

That's just the feedback I was looking for...... now I just need to make sure I am a fit for OMM. If so I'll be knocking on NYCOM's doors.

Thanks.

Dear all -

I am a pre-med student (or future pre med?) living in Japan at the moment - will return to the US next fall to take some of the prereqs. I'm not sure whether I would like to practice here, but I would like to keep the option open.

Does anyone know wheter DOs can get licensure in Japan? It seems promising being that there is a rotation at a site here through the MSU program.

RisingSun

Again, old info...

Japan
Year of Last Request: 1993
Scope of Practice: unknown
To date the AOA has not received a response to its request regarding opportunities for D.O.s.
Contact: Director Office of Examination and Licensing Ministry of Health and Welfare 1-2-2 Kasumigaseki Chiyoda - ku Tokyo 100, JAPAN

Taiwan
Year of Last Request: 1998
Scope of Practice: unlimited
The U.S. D.O. degree is now recognized by the R.O.C. government. This now allows U.S.-trained D.O.s to sit for Taiwan?s Examination Yuan. If D.O.s are successful in passing the Examination Yuan, they can applied for licensure.
Contact: Dr. Po-ya Chang Director General Department of Health 100 Aikuo East Road Taipei, TAIWAN

Dr. Mom can you post the link where you got your information from?

Thanks!

Dr. Mom can you post the link where you got your information from?

Thanks!

Here is tha document that contains info about foreign medical licensure info. for DOs.
Hope this helps.
Sorry, can't attach the file, as it is too large.

I just noticed on the Doctors Without Borders webpage that they DO accept DOs. I am not sure how they manage DOs in countries that don't recognize our degree, however. Here is the quote:

"Does MSF consider Doctors of Osteopathy?
Yes, as long as applicants fulfill the other minimum requirements, i.e. completion of residency and appropriate licensure."

What was interesting was that they don't accept any of the other health professionals...only MDs and DOs...no DPMs, DDSs, DMDs, RNs, PAs, nothing. I suppose that's why it's called Doctors without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) and not Health Professionals Without Borders. ;)

At any rate, it does open some doors for international experiences for DOs.

The international practice rights has to do with being a fully-licensed physician in that country (ie: to live and practice there permanently). Many of those countries are much more lenient with short term aid medical trips.

newyorkcougar said:
I just noticed on the Doctors Without Borders webpage that they DO accept DOs. I am not sure how they manage DOs in countries that don't recognize our degree, however. Here is the quote:

"Does MSF consider Doctors of Osteopathy?
Yes, as long as applicants fulfill the other minimum requirements, i.e. completion of residency and appropriate licensure."

What was interesting was that they don't accept any of the other health professionals...only MDs and DOs...no DPMs, DDSs, DMDs, RNs, PAs, nothing. I suppose that's why it's called Doctors without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) and not Health Professionals Without Borders. ;)

At any rate, it does open some doors for international experiences for DOs.

Yeap MSF has no problem with DOs. I have looked into it and as long as you can work in your country (where they have a branch), you can work with them. I plan on serving with them after I am done. I speak Fench so I can be sent to Africa and if I learn Spanish then south america will be available also.