MD vs. DO controversy??? Explain?..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanna B a Doc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?ve heard a lot of people saying ?I guess if I don?t get accepted into and MD school I could always apply to a DO school?. I wonder if this is the general consensus of pre-medical students, and if so, why? Do we generally consider DO?s less of a doctor than MD?s? Would you prefer having an operation performed by an MD rather than a DO? I know DO schools place more emphasis on training students as GP?s, but they are still doctors, and becoming any type of doctor (M.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D.) is very difficult (as we all know). So why are DO?s sometimes considered ?second rate? doctors by MD?s, and vice versa? Maybe I?m wrong, but this is the impression that I am getting. Any ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

all other things ebing equal, DO's can wear hunter green suits

I have 3 pieces of advice for you:

1.) Use the SEARCH function.

2.) Don't cross post.

3.) When you have used the search function, you will realize that asking this question is like lighting firecrackers while standing in a kiddie pool full of gasoline. Combustion tends to occur.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools generally have average numbers in the range of less competative allopathic schools and thats why I think some use them as "safeties".

The only people who care about the DO/MD distinction are pre-med/ med school applicants. Practicing physicians could care less about it as do the patients (who view most anyone, including NPs and PAs, who know their ****, and heal them as their "doctor") Besides, I think that anyone who is really dedicated to becoming a trained and competant healer would care less about the two letters that follow their name.

Just my thoughts on a long standing debate...
M

Originally posted by MeganRose
DO schools generally have average numbers in the range of less competative allopathic schools and thats why I think some use them as "safeties".

The only people who care about the DO/MD distinction are pre-med/ med school applicants. Practicing physicians could care less about it as do the patients (who view most anyone, including NPs and PAs, who know their ****, and heal them as their "doctor") Besides, I think that anyone who is really dedicated to becoming a trained and competant healer would care less about the two letters that follow their name.

Just my thoughts on a long standing debate...
M

Not true. There are residency programs that actively discriminate against DOs. See the emergency medicine forum.

mikecwru

There are people that discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, looks etc. Why not where you received your doctorate?

Fact is Harvard, Hopkins and Yale have osteopaths as residents.

Originally posted by skypilot
There are people that discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, looks etc. Why not where you received your doctorate?

Fact is Harvard, Hopkins and Yale have osteopaths as residents.

I was not saying the discrimination was proper, just that it does happen. Also, the discrimination is not illegal as are other forms.

mike

Originally posted by Slickness
Skypilot, I do think it is a known fact that it is more difficult for DOs to get into competitive specialized residencies than MDs.

I don't dispute that it is more difficult. It is getting easier every year though.

If you do very well on your board exams you will be able to do any specialty you want as a D.O. including Radiology, Neurosurgery, anything.

Whew this topic has been beaten to death. ;)

Last night, a guy called me "Doctor."

I'm a volunteer. My name badge says so. I don't carry a stethoscope; I don't have so much as a band-aid in my pocket. My coat is a nice deep blue color, and fashionably short. I don't talk medicine with patients. I push wheelchairs and I make beds.

But I was there, and I was one of the people the guy talked to in the course of going from "guy in pain" to "guy who was feeling better." And that's the thing that matters to patients. When he called me "Doctor," he was pretty much just acknowledging that he appreciated whatever I had done.

I have never heard a of a patient questioning the MD/DO distinction. I shadowed a DO, and one patient was brand new to the clinic that day. He asked her, "so were you told that I'm a little bit of a different kind of doctor?" and she said, "that's why I'm here." So I have yet to encounter this alleged predjudice against DO's, from a patient perspective.

When it comes to the state and national boards, agencies, bureaus, and whatnot... the people who actually issue licenses to practice medicine... there is no difference between MD and DO.

The only place I've seen it be an issue is right here.

Originally posted by jmwalker
all other things ebing equal, DO's can wear hunter green suits

LMAO!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Febrifuge

The only place I've seen it be an issue is right here.

exactly