MD vs. DO debate again please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A DO dermatologist will make the same salary as an MD dermatologist. A DO orthopedic surgeon will make the same salary as an MD orthopedic surgeon.

absolutely. but even with these "extra" residency spots, the average osteopath will have a tougher time specializing. most of these spots will likely go to the top of the do class, so there will probably be less opporunties for the great but not excellent do students.

Members don't see this ad.

not really, unless you mean after the same residency. as an osteopath, you'll have a tougher time matching into the most competitive (and most lucrative) specialities. although in theory a do has about the same chance as an md of eventually ending up as a ct surgeon, i'm sure it's much less likely. correct me if i'm incorrect.

(wow, i never thought i'd ever post in a md/do thread in my life...)
Oh of course, Im not here to debate about what or how DOs get into a particular field and if they are happy about it. Im just saying that in whatever field they do end up landing themselves into, that it will be at the same salary as an MD doing the same thing.

There is no debate, you will get paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh of course, Im not here to debate about what or how DOs get into a particular field and if they are happy about it. Im just saying that in whatever field they do end up landing themselves into, that it will be at the same salary as an MD doing the same thing.

That is not entirely true. Just like how certain elite residency programs are MD-only, the elite physician groups (the groups with the best pay and best market control) in certain places are also sometimes MD-only. Pedigree does matter. Anyone saying it doesn't is lying. The stigma exists. Would you want to hire someone as a partner that you did not consider your equal? That perception exists unfortunately. There are many areas of the country where DO penetration and awareness is very weak. These are the areas of the country that disagree with the highly espoused sentiment on SDN that DO=MD.

That is not entirely true. Just like how certain elite residency programs are MD-only, the elite physician groups (the groups with the best pay and best market control) in certain places are also sometimes MD-only. Pedigree does matter. Anyone saying it doesn't is lying. The stigma exists. Would you want to hire someone as a partner that you did not consider your equal? That perception exists unfortunately. There are many areas of the country where DO penetration and awareness is very weak. These are the areas of the country that disagree with the highly espoused sentiment on SDN that DO=MD.

Did you make a new screen name just so you could post that? I'm glad you follow your post with concrete evidence that this exist. I'm sure in reality it does, but there are probably groups that are racist and don't hire certain minorities. You can't account for all the *****s in the world. Besides we dont need to have a job lined up with every "prestigious group" in every country, You only need one job that your happy with.

Did you make a new screen name just so you could post that? I'm glad you follow your post with concrete evidence that this exist. I'm sure in reality it does, but there are probably groups that are racist and don't hire certain minorities. You can't account for all the *****s in the world. Besides we dont need to have a job lined up with every "prestigious group" in every country, You only need one job that your happy with.

There's no hate from my side of the argument at all. I'm just pointing out that getting hired into a group is well...getting a job. We all know that sometimes we don't always get the prime job that we want. It depends on the other factors that we often overlook: appearance, race, education, and pedigree. It's a fact that DOs are considered inferior to MD's so i'm just pointing out the obvious. You don't need concrete facts and anecdotes to support this prevalent attitude.

There's no hate from my side of the argument at all. I'm just pointing out that getting hired into a group is well...getting a job. We all know that sometimes we don't always get the prime job that we want. It depends on the other factors that we often overlook: appearance, race, education, and pedigree. It's a fact that DOs are considered inferior to MD's so i'm just pointing out the obvious. You don't need concrete facts and anecdotes to support this prevalent attitude.

I wouldnt go that far...

I, for one, respect DO's and pre-osteopathic students...a doctor is a doctor and it takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to be one...in the end, as long as you are content with your life and your job it doesnt matter whether you went to MD school or DO school

I only caution students debating b/w MD and DO to be cautious, aware of the pros and cons and understand that they may have a more difficult time getting into certain residencies...better to find out now than in med school

I agree with BrianUM, I am applying to both MD and DO schools. I'm waiting on a few MD schools but I have an acceptance to a DO school already and I really don't mind going to DO. But what future DOs have to consider is that although DOs can go into any speciality they want (with the right grades, recs of course), it is more difficult than if you had all the same grades and recs but were MD instead. I for one have researched all the specialities that I might be interested in and checked to see if they are "DO friendly" or if they have a good representation in the medical field and I based my decision on that and hopfully it will work out come residency time.

im not sure, but if someone can clarify, can someone in a DO school take the USLME1 and if so, if they do well, would a larger range of traditional allopathic residencies open up to DO students?

DKMsguide.jpg

If you want the DO crowd's take on this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=370800 :laugh:

From Des Moines University's 2006 Match List, (number of people listed as matching in that specialty)

1 - radiation oncology
1 - neurosurgery
3 - oto-facial plastic surgery
4 - diagnostic radiology
5 - PM & R
7 - orthopedic surgery
8 - anesthesiology

add in the 5 general surgery matches (1 to Johns Hopkins, 1 to Mayo in MN. ) - and there were 16 surgical matches alone. Class size of 180.

Okay - that's ONE DO school's list, from one year. Take a look at some other's some time, like PCOM's, CCOM's, NYCOM's.

You guys should really learn to research stuff before you perpetuate all these half baked, half truths. It doesn't really help anybody, and basically amounts to spreading rumors. DO students must take the COMLEX, but they CAN take the USMLE. They can enter the allopathic residency match, or the osteopathic residency match. All residency programs are technically open to them, though yes, there is still some lingering bias in some allopathic programs.

They do the same jobs, and they get paid the same. There are plenty of practices out there with both MD's and DO's in them. Open your eyes to more than just what's going on on your block.

Once again where is your evidence for this? Only in the minds of a minority of egotistical professionals and premeds (which if this is your nature I would be glad to not work with you). Sure MD is more recongnized,but only because docs like to plaster it everywhere, I dont think more then a few lay people understand what JD stands for or who has it, but they get plenty business. As will anyone who puts "internal Medicine" on the side of their building.

Mdizzy, this I hope will be my last post I waste on you. Just because in your little head that "MD" behind your name means the world to you, doesn't mean everyone else feels that way too, yes its nice to be recongnized, but we osteo peeps just want to be physicians and maybe didn't care as much for undergrad course work. You will find out in residency how little of value that "MD" means when the Janitor is higher on the pole then you, and Your DO attending yells at you for killing a patient or saves your A$$. Then you will realize exactly what the true makeup of a physician is. You go outside and play now....go on.

Members don't see this ad :)
absolutely. but even with these "extra" residency spots, the average osteopath will have a tougher time specializing. most of these spots will likely go to the top of the do class, so there will probably be less opporunties for the great but not excellent do students.

Yes, they will go to the top of the DO class, just as most of the allopathic ones will go to the top of the MD class. Derm will be difficult to attain regardless of your degree.

Mdizzy, this I hope will be my last post I waste on you. Just because in your little head that "MD" behind your name means the world to you, doesn't mean everyone else feels that way too, yes its nice to be recongnized, but we osteo peeps just want to be physicians and maybe didn't care as much for undergrad course work. You will find out in residency how little of value that "MD" means when the Janitor is higher on the pole then you, and Your DO attending yells at you for killing a patient or saves your A$$. Then you will realize exactly what the true makeup of a physician is. You go outside and play now....go on.

I live in a state without a DO school, but there are several in surrounding states. Every MD i've talked to even some in my family who I have asked about "DO" has told me it is a lesser degree and that I should only go to a DO school if I could not get into an MD school. Some even went as far as to say I should try to get an MD two years in a row before I consider going DO. These are practicing doctors in many different specialties. I didn't say DO's were lesser physicians, but that is the perception. In the real world, people are often times judged by their appearance, or how they look on paper. Anyone who has applied to medical school knows how the system works and the ones who have applied for residency know this truth even more. I'm not advocating that DO's are not competent physicians. I'm saying that it is widely considered that DO < MD at all stages , from pre-med, med student, residency applications, to job applications.

These threads are priceless.

I've never participated in one. This is my first time. So the other night I'm playing DOTA with some of my friends who are in med schools and someone makes a newbie mistake (casts spell on creep instead of hero) and one of them goes "dude that's so DO". Caused a running gag that hasn't stopped yet. Hilarious.

I'm sure somewhere there's a pack of HMO upper management folks playing DOTA and when someone casts incorrectly, someone will say "dude thats so MD".

Whatever, all of you get over yourselves. Open your eyes and realize that there are real problems in the world. Like newbs casting spells on creep instead of heroes.

There are many areas of the country where DO penetration and awareness is very weak. These are the areas of the country that disagree with the highly espoused sentiment on SDN that DO=MD.

So what? I don't see where the problem lies. As DO's become more prevalent, the so-called stigma will be a memory. I'm not going to live in fear of some stigma, for crying out loud. I know what I'm doing and what I like. I'm not planning on joining an "elite" group anyway. I'm going to be a PCP, perhaps in an underserved area, where there aren't going to be many doctors at all. I don't think any of my patients are going to give a rat's ass whether I'm a DO or an MD.

Oh please. That's the prevalent attitude of premeds, not of practicing doctors in most areas. You can't use the word "fact" without citing proof, of which you doubtlessly have none, except perhaps anecdotal evidence. Most practicing doctors, and certainly most patients, don't give a flying s**t. If there are pockets of discrimination, then so be it. I'm not going to go out of my way to please people. I'm ready to prove them wrong just by being myself.

Alright, back to chillin'. :cool:

I live in a state without a DO school, but there are several in surrounding states. Every MD i've talked to even some in my family who I have asked about "DO" has told me it is a lesser degree and that I should only go to a DO school if I could not get into an MD school. Some even went as far as to say I should try to get an MD two years in a row before I consider going DO. These are practicing doctors in many different specialties. I didn't say DO's were lesser physicians, but that is the perception. In the real world, people are often times judged by their appearance, or how they look on paper. Anyone who has applied to medical school knows how the system works and the ones who have applied for residency know this truth even more. I'm not advocating that DO's are not competent physicians. I'm saying that it is widely considered that DO < MD at all stages , from pre-med, med student, residency applications, to job applications.

You live in Arkansas, right -- I saw your name on the UAMS thread. The south is probably the most anti-DO part of the country, so that might throw your perception off a bit. That's not the way it is everywhere. Also, though, I think it's a little weird for a student in a state with one of the easiest admissions requirements for their state school to ream on DO students for being less competitive. If you go to UAMS, you're going to find lots of students there with identical or lower stats to students at lots of osteopathic schools.

As for the state differences, at my school they'll actually question your desire to be a physician if you didn't apply to OSU (our state's osteopathic school). Otherwise, our adcom worries that you're someone who's more caught up with prestige than with the desire to be a physician.

You live in Arkansas, right -- I saw your name on the UAMS thread. The south is probably the most anti-DO part of the country, so that might throw your perception off a bit. That's not the way it is everywhere. Also, though, I think it's a little weird for a student in a state with one of the easiest admissions requirements for their state school to ream on DO students for being less competitive. If you go to UAMS, you're going to find lots of students there with identical or lower stats to students at lots of osteopathic schools.

As for the state differences, at my school they'll actually question your desire to be a physician if you didn't apply to OSU (our state's osteopathic school). You have to worry about being someone who's more caught up with prestige than with the desire to be a physician.

The average MCAT for last year's UAMS entering class was 30. Average GPA was 3.67. Average age, 23. Like I said in another thread, it's about quality, not quantity. So what if DO schools (which are mostly private) get 6,000 applicants when the average stats of their entering classes have a 24 MCAT and 3.3 GPA? Find me a school with a higher MCAT and GPA average than UAMS since you say "lots of students" at osteopathic schools have identical or higher stats than students at UAMS.

But that's besides the point.

My original post stated that there is a stigma that DO < MD and that may lead to inequality in the workplace. Never did I say that DO schools are not as "competitive" as you said to MD. That is common knowledge. You are running off on a tangent here. We're talking about physician opportunities and salaries, and you're bringing up competitiveness of entrance into medical school. I can only conclude that you wanted to take a cheap shot at Arkansas's medical school by your comments. If you're going to do that, at least do some research before you make a fool of yourself. See the stats above.

My Uncle is a DO Dermatologist in Southern Alabama. He is in private practice. He has more patients than he can handle and his patients could care less about his degree. Granted, when he first moved there 20 years ago he said there was a bit of hostility from MD's, but none to speak of at this point. Keep in mind that the people that are going to think about the MD / DO thing are going to mostly be the same people that you hate on SDN anyway.

As for the state differences, at my school they'll actually question your desire to be a physician if you didn't apply to OSU (our state's osteopathic school). Otherwise, our adcom worries that you're someone who's more caught up with prestige than with the desire to be a physician.

Again, as I said earlier, happiness should be intrinsically derived, not based on others' perceptions. Even if other people "look down" upon your degree, who cares? Do you define your current happiness is theres some racist out there who hates your race? or sexist against your sex? I certainly hope not. You get the idea. Yes, you'll face alot of heat as a DO. Yes, there will be people who think less of you. What does it matter if they do? Just brush it off and do what you do best- take care of people.

I always love how the people who feel most strongly about the MD/DO thing are pre-meds who have just recently committed to either an MD or a DO school. When you actually get into med school you will have a bit more exposure than you do now.

As a whole, DOs will have a harder time than MDs getting a given allo residency. They also have a harder time passing USMLE for whatever reason. However, there are so many extra LGME-accredited residencies that it shouldnt be a huge issue unless you pick the most competitive residencies. Most DO students actually choose to go for the Allo match instead of the osteo match.

To back up Mdizzy, before coming to this site I had never heard a doctor say a possitive thing about DOs and I come from a family of 7 doctors. Like it or not, there is a stigma associated with the degree in many areas.

I don't understand why these arguments keep popping up. They make absolutely no sense!

MDs are fully licensed physicians that can perform surgery, deliver babies, etc.

DOs take care of people's vision and prescribe glasses and contact lenses.

There's a world of difference! I don't get it. Both are doctors, both earned their degrees, both fulfill a need in society. End of story.

I always love how the people who feel most strongly about the MD/DO thing are pre-meds who have just recently committed to either an MD or a DO school. When you actually get into med school you will have a bit more exposure than you do now.

As a whole, DOs will have a harder time than MDs getting a given allo residency. They also have a harder time passing USMLE for whatever reason. However, there are so many extra LGME-accredited residencies that it shouldnt be a huge issue unless you pick the most competitive residencies. Most DO students actually choose to go for the Allo match instead of the osteo match.

To back up Mdizzy, before coming to this site I had never heard a doctor say a possitive thing about DOs and I come from a family of 7 doctors. Like it or not, there is a stigma associated with the degree in many areas.

I have to agree. I have shadowed numerous physicians in hospitals, private practices, and free clinics in both Champaign-Urbana and Chicago and it is true that a stigma exists about DOs vs. MDs. Regardless, it shouldn't really affect your life in any significant way, a physician is a physician to the patients they treat.

somehow these threads always remind me of watching monkeys throw pooh at each other...

Ah heck, you tryin' ta get me "Drop Kicked"....

Must... resist... posting..pic...of..mokey...slinging...poo

*Sunny in Vulcan meditation*

somehow these threads always remind me of watching monkeys throw pooh at each other...

You have to admit, it's always fun to watch pre-meds back up what they think they know by what the 3 doctors they shadowed told them or the good old "I've spoken with many doctors in many fields and they all told me ___________"

darn i missed the very off topic happiness debate by a lot of hours :rolleyes:

I don't understand why these arguments keep popping up. They make absolutely no sense!

MDs are fully licensed physicians that can perform surgery, deliver babies, etc.

There's a world of difference! I don't get it. Both are doctors, both earned their degrees, both fulfill a need in society. End of story.

I think this must be a joke, no?:eek: You descibed the OD degree (optometry), not the DO degree.

Not kill him so much as many posters here have already expressed their opinions wholeheartedly and not willing to continue talking about the same thing over and over again, in which the thread usually ends in stalemate. These opinions can be found on even more extensive threads that are probably on page 2 or beyond

I think this must be a joke, no?:eek: You descibed the OD degree (optometry), not the DO degree.
there is a large amount of sarcasm on sdn. post with caution! :D

The average MCAT for last year's UAMS entering class was 30. Average GPA was 3.67. Average age, 23. Like I said in another thread, it's about quality, not quantity. So what if DO schools (which are mostly private) get 6,000 applicants when the average stats of their entering classes have a 24 MCAT and 3.3 GPA? Find me a school with a higher MCAT and GPA average than UAMS since you say "lots of students" at osteopathic schools have identical or higher stats than students at UAMS.

But that's besides the point.

My original post stated that there is a stigma that DO < MD and that may lead to inequality in the workplace. Never did I say that DO schools are not as "competitive" as you said to MD. That is common knowledge. You are running off on a tangent here. We're talking about physician opportunities and salaries, and you're bringing up competitiveness of entrance into medical school. I can only conclude that you wanted to take a cheap shot at Arkansas's medical school by your comments. If you're going to do that, at least do some research before you make a fool of yourself. See the stats above.

According to USnews, the average MCAT was a 9.2 in each section, so I'm not sure where you're getting your 30 thing. Also, I know people who got into UAMS with a 24 on the MCAT and a 3.5 gpa -- if they lived in any other state (well aside from Mississippi), they'd be DOs now. I went to Hendrix -- I know a lot about the competitiveness of UAMS. I'm just saying that it's easy for someone sitting in Arkansas to bash DOs both because you have a relatively non-competitive state school to get into and because there aren't many DOs there. Your perception of the matter might be a little skewed.

Adding some fun usnews data -- gotta take advantage of my membership. :)

UAMS -- average mcat 9.2, average gpa 3.62, 59.2% of instate applicants are accepted
TCOM -- average mcat 9.2, average gpa 3.52, 9.8% of instate applicants accepted

A DO that is taking care of visions and prescribing glasses is in for ONE HELL of a lawsuit.

Both an MD and a DO are full-physicians.

According to USnews, the average MCAT was a 9.2 in each section, so I'm not sure where you're getting your 30 thing. Also, I know people who got into UAMS with a 24 on the MCAT and a 3.5 gpa -- if they lived in any other state (well aside from Mississippi), they'd be DOs now. I went to Hendrix -- I know a lot about the competitiveness of UAMS. I'm just saying that it's easy for someone sitting in Arkansas to bash DOs both because you have a relatively non-competitive state school to get into and because there aren't many DOs there. Your perception of the matter might be a little skewed.

UAMS -- average mcat 9.2, average gpa 3.62, 59.2% of instate applicants are accepted

How old is the USNEWS info? Do you even know or are you going to tell me the information on the UAMS COM website of last year's data is wrong?

http://www.uams.edu/com/comcat/acom/For the Medical School Applicant.pdf

go to page 6

DATA ON 2006 ENTERING CLASS

160 OF 948 applicants have been accepted to date
undergraduate gpa: average 3.68
Average scores on the MCAT were 9.8, 9.3, 9.9 respectively, in Verbal Reasoning, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences. Range was 37-23. Average is 29

the averages fall in line with the majority of other state medical schools with 10x the applicant volume. Since you obviously don't know, UAMS has a limit on the # of people it can accept from each congressional districts. By my estimation, people from the central region of the state with the highest population density, had about a 15% chance of acceptance.

Besides, you said "a lot of DO students" had stats equal to or higher than UAMS students. Surely you can come up with more than TCOM. Even then, there's a big difference between a 27 MCAT average and a 29. Also, there are people with a 24 MCAT getting into just about any MD school out there. That is the exception, not the rule, at any MD school.

Did you get rejected from UAMS? That would explain the bitterness and cheap shots taken at UAMS from you.

Yeah for a Pennsylvania resident, it is far harder to get into a US allo school by comparison. Utilizing MEDIAN averages according to the MSAR here is the rundown. Mean averages & Acceptance Rates are from US News & WR:

U of Pittsburgh:
Median MCAT: 35 (11,12,12); Median GPA: 3.76 BCPM: 3.76
Mean GPA: 3.62 Acceptance rate OOS: 8.8% IS: 8.2%

U of Pennsylvania
Median MCAT: 35 (11,12,12); Median GPA: 3.82 BCPM: 3.83
Mean GPA: 3.79 Acceptance rate OOS: 4.3% IS: 8.8%

Penn State University College of Medicine
Median MCAT: 31 (10,10,11); Median GPA: 3.71 BCPM: 3.67
Mean GPA: Unavailable Acc. Rate: Unavailable

Temple University School of Medicine
Median MCAT: 30 (10,10,10); Median GPA: 3.61 BCPM: 3.57
Mean GPA: 3.59 Acceptance Rate: OOS: 5.6% IS: 23.5%

Drexel University College of Medicine
Median MCAT: 31 (10,10,11); Median GPA: 3.58 BCPM: 3.52
Mean GPA: 3.44 Acceptance Rate: IS: 23.5% OOS: 12.0%

Jefferson Medical College
Median MCAT: 31 (10,10,11); Median GPA: 3.62 BCPM: 3.57
Mean GPA: 3.57 Acceptance Rates: IS: 19.0% OOS: 5.0%

IN COMPARISON TO:

University of Arkansas
Median MCAT: 28 (10,9,9) Median GPA:3.69 BCPM: 3.62
Mean GPA: 3.62 Acceptance rates: IS: 59.2% OOS: 4.2%

So, while the University of Arkansas beats out many if not all of the osteopathic school by a slim margin, it is fairly obvious that its admissions criteria are somewhat lax for in-state students when compared to more competitive states that have little in-state preference such as PA.

Now let's look at the osteopathic medical school acceptance rates in PA:

PCOM:
In-state Acceptance Rate: 42.9%

LECOM:
In-state Acceptance Rate: 37.1%

Yes, the stats may appear lower for PCOM, but the competitiveness of the spots is still more intense than UAMS. Face it, UAMS is a relatively easy MD school to gain admission to if you are in-state. The same cannot be said for many other state schools...

Argue that.

Should I circumcise my kids?

Do I have kids?

Does that make me a bad father?

Am I male?

What does it mean to be male?

Am I alive?

Do I have a soul?

Is there evidence of a soul?

AYE CHIWAWA PAPASITO
vidaguerra-6.bmp

care for a free session of OMM...than after that I can get you a new prescription on your contact lenses and give you an eye test...:thumbup:

Did you get rejected from UAMS? That would explain the bitterness and cheap shots taken at UAMS from you.

Nope, didn't even apply. However, I think you're deluding yourself if you think anything other than the fact that you got into one of the easiest allopathic schools in the country to be admitted to. Hell, I'm at one of those schools, too -- my ego is strong enough for me to admit it.

We'll see what the latest usnews data is. Once again, I suspect that UAMS will pop up with close to the lowest average MCAT data for allopathic schools. When you're limited to filling your class almost solely with Arkansans, you're not going to have the most accomplished class.

Anyway, go back to lying to yourself about how competitive your school is and bashing DOs if it makes you feel good. :rolleyes:

Nope, didn't even apply. However, I think you're deluding yourself if you think anything other than the fact that you got into one of the easiest allopathic schools in the country to be admitted to. Hell, I'm at one of those schools, too -- my ego is strong enough for me to admit it.

We'll see what the latest usnews data is. Once again, I suspect that UAMS will pop up with close to the lowest average MCAT data for allopathic schools. When you're limited to filling your class almost solely with Arkansans, you're not going to have the most accomplished class.

Anyway, go back to lying to yourself about how competitive your school is and bashing DOs if it makes you feel good. :rolleyes:

"arkansans"...:laugh:...is it not arkansenians