MD vs. DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctork10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on my second day of school at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. I was also just accepted to Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine. One is DO and one is MD. I really liked both schools when I interviewed. I don’t know what to do. Have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming your cost isnt going to be much higher for WMU, I would go to the MD school

Reactions: 1 users
Run don't walk to the MD school unless you want to go into FM. Even then MD>> For expert advice tag someone like @Goro

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently on my second day of school at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. I was also just accepted to Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine. One is DO and one is MD. I really liked both schools when I interviewed. I don’t know what to do. Have any advice?
Who has the cheaper tuition?

If you're happy at MSU, and are happy with primary care, and it's less expensive, stay there.

But otherwise, more doors will be open to you at Stryker.

Do they have a teaching hospital ??

Do you want to learn OMM, take two sets of boards, deal with potential discrimination, and have to explain to people what’s the difference between DO vs MD for possibly the rest of your life?

Edit- completely forgot to mention the Nassar scandal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you want to learn OMM, take two sets of boards, deal with potential discrimination, and have to explain to people what’s the difference between DO vs MD for possibly the rest of your life?
90% of healthcare staff/patients/general population have a clue what the difference is & don't care. Make good grades, volunteer/research/leadership ECs, get the degree, pass the licensing, then do the exact same job!

Reactions: 2 users
90% of healthcare staff/patients/general population have a clue what the difference is & don't care. Make good grades, volunteer/research/leadership ECs, get the degree, pass the licensing, then do the exact same job!
Not sure why you replied to me lol. That being said if you go to an MD school that’s pass/fail, you not only don’t have to learn OMM but you only take one set of boards. So if they’re practically the same in the long-run, why should the OP take the path of greater resistance when he/she seems on the fence? Especially since the OP clearly states that he/she likes both schools.

Last edited:
I can think of plenty of reasons why one would choose a DO school - especially a wonderful one such as MSU (Nassar notwithstanding) - over an MD school. There are several in my class at TCOM who turned down an MD acceptance(s) to come to TCOM.

In most cases, I would probably have chosen MD. I won’t lie about that.

But if we’re going to be real, ya’ll are overexaggerating so hard you’d make even Reddit blush.

Going back to OP in particular, I don’t think 10k/year is a big enough difference to choose DO over MD if that’s the only reason you would do it - not location, not draw to OMM, not ties to faculty, etc. Western Michigan isn’t a particularly high-tier MD school and your mileage honestly probably wouldn’t vary much between the two of them, but, all things nearly equal, I’d probably choose W. Michigan.

Reactions: 2 users

90% do not know the difference. Staff, sure, but not patients or general population. Maybe 1/3 know the difference. A large portion see DO and ask for the doctor expecting an MD. That sad there is minimal difference and essentially no clinical difference.

If OP is happy at MSU, then stay.

Maybe mind your business I'm here to support other students because there's so much DO hatred here.
I'm sorry if I offended at all, that was not at all intended. I had the choice between DO and MD as well. I really just wanted to know what went into your decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe mind your business I'm here to support other students because there's so much DO hatred here.
LOL, using terms like descrimanation and hatred make you guys sound like CNN. Start using the word bias more because that what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.