MD VS NP LIFESTYLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-of-all-trades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which has a better lifestyle?

I am currently in nursing school but i know without a doubt that I want to go to medical school after nursing school. But i also know I want to have a family. Is it possible to be a physician and have a family or would it be a wiser decision to become a np?

In terms of hours and how much they work would it be better for someone who wants a family to become a Md or a np?

I'm definitely not looking for an easy way to medicine because I want to go to medical school but if it means not being able to have a family I would choose np.

Thanks in advance for all responses

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends.. that's the best answer I or anybody can give you. It depends on your specialty and it depends on you. If lifestyle is of the utmost importance to you just be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Medical school is 4 long, arduous years + residency 3-7 years (depending what specialty you choose). I know a general surgeon that has never missed one of her sons soccer games (she works in the suburbs) and I know an opthamologist with 4 kids. So it is possible but its all dependent on the person.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends.. that's the best answer I or anybody can give you. It depends on your specialty and it depends on you. If lifestyle is of the utmost importance to you just be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Medical school is 4 long, arduous years + residency 3-7 years (depending what specialty you choose). I know a general surgeon that has never missed one of her sons soccer games (she works in the suburbs) and I know an opthamologist with 4 kids. So it is possible but its all dependent on the person.

I agree here. I had concerns about having a family too, but then I worked in an Ob/Gyn practice where many of the physicians were amazing women who had families and were able to balance it all. It'll take some sacrifice at times, but if being a physician is truly what you want to be, from what I've seen it seems to be manageable.

I've talked to a few primary care docs in a group practice. Some only work 4 days a week and are on call one weekend a month. Get in at 8:00 and leave by 4:30. Really nice lifestyle in my opinion. But there are also primary care docs that work every day + have loads to do outside the clinic. Other specialties like surgery would likely be more restrictive in terms of family/social schedule... but I've talked to surgeons with families who say they make it work.
They say that once you really get in to your career, if family is very important to you... there are ways to make it work. It is what you make it... so to speak. Just my 2c. Can't go wrong with NP but your MD vs. NP decision should be based on where you see yourself professionally because either path allows you to have a family.

Medical training requires a lot of sacrifices. In my opinion, the NP vs. MD choice shouldnt be made based on lifestyle. You should make that choice based on the type of training and career you want because they are just that: entirely separate training paths for very different careers.

Reactions: 2 users
dis gun b gud

I guess I should clarify that although I know I would be able to have a family I want to be there for them too. I don't want to be the dad who is always at work. I understand that the md and np are completely different but if it's not possible to always be there for my family I would choose np.

Does anybody have any other opinons on this?

I guess I should clarify that although I know I would be able to have a family I want to be there for them too. I don't want to be the dad who is always at work. I understand that the md and np are completely different but if it's not possible to always be there for my family I would choose np.

Does anybody have any other opinons on this?

If you want a good life/career balance and its a high priority, NP is without a doubt a good career choice. Some of the members on here will always be MD or broke but that's not reality and it shouldn't be. If you have a high priority placed on being there with family and your kids, NP is healthier for that for sure. NP's can do quite a bit and are really knowledgeable (counter to common-thought here but that's more ego than facts.)

I'm assuming you're in nursing school? Otherwise you should be replacing NP with PA. Regardless, NP is a great career choice as well. I think especially if you're interested in primary care type medicine, NP is a great choice but you would be limited in scope compared to a fullblown DO/MD. For some people that is an advantage though.

FWIW, I switched from PA to DO/MD and I had similar concerns as you. It's a tough choice.

If you want a good life/career balance and its a high priority, NP is without a doubt a good career choice. Some of the members on here will always be MD or broke but that's not reality and it shouldn't be. If you have a high priority placed on being there with family and your kids, NP is healthier for that for sure. NP's can do quite a bit and are really knowledgeable (counter to common-thought here but that's more ego than facts.)

I'm assuming you're in nursing school? Otherwise you should be replacing NP with PA.

I am currently in nursing school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all responses. Everything has been really helpful so far

I've heard that people do go into PA because they can practice earlier than MD/DO. This allows them to start a family sooner.
Like this youtuber :D

Perhaps consider doing PA too?

NP is a much smoother ride for RN's... no point in doing PA if you already have your BSN. NP is a shoe-in. PA is not.

But I agree with geo. A lot of us going into med will be living our 20's in our 30's.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard that people do go into PA because they can practice earlier than MD/DO. This allows them to start a family sooner.
Like this youtuber :D

Perhaps consider doing PA too?

Usually the answer to this question is = I didn't get into MD school.

Reactions: 5 users
NP is a much smoother ride for RN's... no point in doing PA if you already have your BSN. NP is a shoe-in. PA is not.

But I agree with geo. A lot of us going into med will be living our 20's in our 30's.
I'm thinking: what about Residency? Do you think people can start their family when they are doing a Residency?
I mean, you are earning a considerable income + you will be practicing soon.
Or.. just yet another my dumb idea :p !!!!

Last edited:
People have kids in medical school and before medical school. There is no good time to have kids, just less bad times.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm thinking: what about Residency? Do you think people can start their family when they are doing a Residency?
I mean, you are earning a considerable income + you will be practicing soon.
Or.. just yet another my dumb idea :p !!!!
Working 80+ hours a week isn't conducive to having babies unless you have a hell of a wife lol.

Working 80+ hours a week isn't conducive to having babies unless you have a hell of a wife lol.
LOL unless you are hell of a dad!
People have kids in medical school and before medical school. There is no good time to have kids, just less bad times.
Yep, read few posts here on SDN with similar cases- people with children starting med school :p

That isn't true for every residency / specialty.. though you should be mentally prepared to be one of those people that has 80+ hours / wk in residency it's not the rule for everybody..

That isn't true for every residency / specialty.. though you should be mentally prepared to be one of those people that has 80+ hours / wk in residency it's not the rule for everybody..
I think he meant it as figurative. Like, be prepare to work hours on end while on residency :p

I'm a generalize-when-I-can kind of guy

Didn't u get banned? Or was that the other guy with the Ron Swanson avatar?
If I was banned I would've been in your signature.

nah i was on dat probation time for a couple weeks. Atleast now I can go outside to the edge of my lawn without my tether going off.

If I was banned I would've been in your signature.

nah i was on dat probation time for a couple weeks. Atleast now I can go outside to the edge of my lawn without my tether going off.

I knew you got in trouble, what post did it?

Thanks for all responses so far.

Anybody else have any more advice?

I am currently in nursing school but i know without a doubt that I want to go to medical school after nursing school. But i also know I want to have a family. Is it possible to be a physician and have a family or would it be a wiser decision to become a np?

In terms of hours and how much they work would it be better for someone who wants a family to become a Md or a np?

I'm definitely not looking for an easy way to medicine because I want to go to medical school but if it means not being able to have a family I would choose np.

Instead of asking pre-meds, how about actually asking physicians and NPs????

No physician has ever had a family, we all die alone.

Really though it's all about priorities. Physicians, on average, have some of the most successful marriages of any profession.

Instead of asking pre-meds, how about actually asking physicians and NPs????
Watch yourself Goro..................................................................................................................................................................................

I feel like we would get along irl.

Are there any physicians or students in med school on here who used to be nps or considered becoming an np to give any advice on this subject?

Also are there are any nps who can give their experience with this?

Thanks again for any advice

Are there any physicians or students in med school on here who used to be nps or considered becoming an np to give any advice on this subject?

Also are there are any nps who can give their experience with this?

Thanks again for any advice

Try the medical student or non-traditional forums

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile