MDApps with personal statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GandalfTheWhite

Chillin in Isengard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have links to MD apps profiles that have personal statements attached?

Im trying to rework mine and I want to see how other personal statements compare that have had success.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my personal statement attached to my mdapps. It isn't anything life changing or breath taking, but it worked for me. 8 interview invites, attended 3 and was accepted to all 3 schools with a scholarship offer to two of them (1 huge scholarship and 1 decent scholarship)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=24467

It would blow my mind if Adcoms put virtually any weight at all as to how eloquently one expresses their passion for medicine. Every personal statement seems to say "I REALLY wanna be a Doctor".

What I would think they do look for is actual experience in medicine and something that makes them want to like you and give you a chance to interview. Even this is WAY secondary to MCAT/GPA.

Looking at their stats and experiences any of the MDapps w/ personal statements posted thus far probably would have gotten in with any non-terrible PS.

Just my 2c.

It would blow my mind if Adcoms put virtually any weight at all as to how eloquently one expresses their passion for medicine. Every personal statement seems to say "I REALLY wanna be a Doctor".

What I would think they do look for is actual experience in medicine and something that makes them want to like you and give you a chance to interview. Even this is WAY secondary to MCAT/GPA.

Looking at their stats and experiences any of the MDapps w/ personal statements posted thus far probably would have gotten in with any non-terrible PS.

Just my 2c.

100% agree. I always say this in these threads, but the goal of the PS for nearly all applicants is for it to simply be adequate. PSs are extremely formulaic; as a result it's highly unlikely that you will produce a uniquely good PS. Answer the question and write well and hope for the best; most people should not be trying to do something unique, artsy, etc. as it will likely backfire. Only do that if you have your PS looked at by multiple people that review apps and they give you positive feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

100% agree. I always say this in these threads, but the goal of the PS for nearly all applicants is for it to simply be adequate. PSs are extremely formulaic; as a result it's highly unlikely that you will produce a uniquely good PS. Answer the question and write well and hope for the best; most people should not be trying to do something unique, artsy, etc. as it will likely backfire. Only do that if you have your PS looked at by multiple people that review apps and they give you positive feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

two of my reviewers mentioned that my PS lacks personal examples and Im just saying why I want to be a doctor.... i kind of though that was the point.

Also two reviewers mentioned that they couldnt tell why i would pick being a physician over a nurse or a PA.... i didnt feel as I needed to address this since it would be common sense since I am applying to medical school.

thoughts on this?

two of my reviewers mentioned that my PS lacks personal examples and Im just saying why I want to be a doctor.... i kind of though that was the point.

Also two reviewers mentioned that they couldnt tell why i would pick being a physician over a nurse or a PA.... i didnt feel as I needed to address this since it would be common sense since I am applying to medical school.

I think those are legitimate complaints. Think of personal experiences as your "evidence;" you make claims (you want to be a physician because _________) and then you substantiate those claims with actual experiences (I know I want to work with others because I _________). As far as MD vs. other positions, I think that's also legitimate. There are many different ways to be involved in medicine - why do you see being a physician as the best choice for you? What makes you think you would enjoy it and do well at it?

People reading your PS have no idea who you are and will not make any assumptions about your decision to become a physician. You must be explicit as people will not generally give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I think those are legitimate complaints. Think of personal experiences as your "evidence;" you make claims (you want to be a physician because _________) and then you substantiate those claims with actual experiences (I know I want to work with others because I _________). As far as MD vs. other positions, I think that's also legitimate. There are many different ways to be involved in medicine - why do you see being a physician as the best choice for you? What makes you think you would enjoy it and do well at it?

People reading your PS have no idea who you are and will not make any assumptions about your decision to become a physician. You must be explicit as people will not generally give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I agree with the first one, im just trying to figure out how to implement the second one. BTW, did you fill out the two optional TMDSAS essays?

I agree with the first one, im just trying to figure out how to implement the second one. BTW, did you fill out the two optional TMDSAS essays?

I honestly don't remember exactly, but I think I only ended up filling out one of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7

This thread is relevant to my interests.