Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MD's and MD/PhD's during residency

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by periodic, Apr 8, 2004.

1. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Looking at the MD/PhD matchlists in the Pre-MSTP forum, I realized how uniformly well MD/PhD's from competitive programs do in the match. They clearly (and understandably) benefit from the PhD training.

So, I was wondering if there were differences in how MD's and MD/PhD's in the same residency program were perceived and interact during their training. Are they given the same duties and treated the same, or do MD/PhD's have extra research obligations and higher or lower expectations for their level of clinical care? Do they get along?

I'm curious to hear anyone's insight, thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

There are actually research scientists residencies out there that are made specifically for MD/PhD's or those who really want more research experience that are just the normal residencies, extended (eg IM is 5 yrs at some of these programs). Other then getting a few papers published, I never understood what the point of extending your residency years was. Anyways, there was an upper year MD/PhD at my school who got into Brigham's anesthesiology program with the "expectation" that he was interested in doing research while there. However, the fact is that once you match into a program, you should be held to the same standards and you should have the same research requirements as your non-PhD colleagues, so I know that this upper year was not planning on doing any more then the required research of Brigham because he was tired of it.

4. all41

all41 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Does one commit to the MD/PhD program in med school or before residency? Would you explain the PhD procedure in the US? (I am an IMG)

5. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Some residency programs do allow their residents to get PhD's as a resident (the ones that I have heard of are mainly surgical residency programs with extensive research requirements already built into them). Most enroll in an MD/PhD tract in medical school though, which means 2 yrs of pre-clinical work, then leaving their MD classmates and doing 3-4 yrs of PhD work, then returning to complete the remaining 2 yrs of clinical work with the rest of the MD students.

6. all41

all41 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks for explaining.
    As far as any of you know, is there any way for an IMG (who is already MD) to get a PhD in the US (other than during selective residency programs)?
    Regarding PhD during residency: Is it something one should arrange in advance, or is it possible to take that path during the residency itself?
    Thanks again!

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, we've got a few here and frankly I never would have known except for seeing it on some formal piece of paper or maybe their lab coat. Their duties are the same, they interact well with everyone else, and their research obligations are the same as for everyone else: there if you want it, never mind if you don't. As for expectations, again...I don't think they're any different although I'm sure the Biochem PhD gave us a better resident lecture on cell signaling than the rest of us imbeciles could have! :laugh:

8. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't noticed any difference in the expectations or treatment.... nor have have I noticed any conflict between MDs and MD/PhDs. I have always been really impressed with MD/PhDs.... it's no wonder they are so desirable.