MDs later trained to perform DO Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wyldstyle2000

This is a just a curious question. Anyways, I was wondering if allopathic doctors have ever been, or can be trained to perform OMM. Is there any legal red tape that can prevent them rom performing OMM since they are not DO school graduates?

I was just curious since I'm an allopathic applicant and may someday work with some great osteopathic doctors. Those techniques can be very useful...
smile.gif

wyldstyle

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know very much about this topic. However, I do believe that NYCOM, MSUCOM and maybe one of the schools in CA, teach courses in OMT to M.D.'s. Conduct an internet search and see what you find...and also wait for someone more knowledgeable than I to respond to your post.

Cheers

Yes. I've known of MDs who have gone to KCOM for an OMM residency. It's not impossible. If you don't want an OMM residency, there are CME courses you can take at places like MSUCOM (very popular) and other osteopathic institutions. I think you can find the other places by finding the website for the Undergraduate American Academy of Osteopathy (UAAO).

------------------
Tim Wu.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Upledger Institute teaches Cranial Sacral Therapy to MD's.

------------------
Check out DOhealthnet

Actually you don't have to be a doctor to learn craniosacral work. Just check out local massage classes.

As a PT I learned Craniosacral (and didn't fall for it then either), learned Muscle Energy, Myofascial release, and strain-counterstrain.
What is typically considered OMM, has been refined by many professions.

two more institutions come to mind:

the cranial academy - i think they offer courses for docs. i could be wrong on this one.

the international manual medicine society (i think) in san francisco. they also offer some courses. i think you have to be a doc to register. i know they have a website.

good luck - see you on the wards.

Ok...the "Upledger Institute"...what a crock of ****...the guy will teach cranial to anyone who can write a check to him...the guy has bastardized the whole practice of cranial sacral manipulation...in fact...he has copywritted the term "cranial-sacral" too...