MDs Vs DOs????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERMED

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was just wondering what you guys think are the major diffrences of MDs and DOs? Would any of you consider DO school? Its known that DOs are less recognized as physicians, but indeed I think MD or DO you are still a physician. DOs anatomy course is more extensive than MD's plus they also learn body maipulation, almost like a chiropractor, so thats an extra thing they learn, but they are still seen lower than MDs for some people. I just want to know what is your opinion on this and if you would ever consider DO school? Personally I think a lot of premeds prefer allopathic medicine just because its more prestigious than DOs. Just imagine of these was the other way around, what if DO school was more prestigious than MD school> Do you think there would be more DO applicants? or would it be the same as now?

Members don't see this ad.

Well here is a new and interesting thought! (dripping with sarcasm)

Eduardo, this topic is visited in just about 2 out of 3 threads. Do a search and you will find umpteen-billion discussions regarding the MD vs DO thing. Here is a link to the most recent discussion --->

MD vs DO

One comment though, since this is a Pre-Osteopathic forum, I think it would be safe to assume that yes, many of us would consider applying to DO schools.

Good luck.

Please do us all a favor.

1. do a search on this controversial subject, it is arguably the most debated topic on these boards.

2. After you find the info, delete this post and spare us the same debate repeated on a weekly basis. Even the subject of your post is identical to several past posts. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprisingly, I actually never get tired of these MD versus DO debates. I think I learn something new every time they pop up. However, I agree that Eduaro's questions have indeed been beaten to death on SDN.

But here's an actually unique question that I've never heard before that pertains to the MD vs DO debate: do DO's have a harder time searching for job positions, compared to MD's, after they complete residency? Someone I talked to made the claim that many hospitals and health centers tend to be more reluctant to hire DO's compared to MD's. He included as evidence for this "the fact" that want ads in the back of medical journals tend to specifically request MD graduates. I've also read a DO student on this board make the same claim before. I wonder how much truth there is to it?

i've said it before, and i will say it again, a DOCTOR is a doctor. MD or DO, you treat people and help them regardless. It just happens that all DO schools put a major influence on primary care to serve the small communities outside of the large metropolitan cities. However, becoming a DO does not mean that you will have to work in a small community. Also, before making any inferences such as " it is know that DO's are less recognized...or that MD schools are more prestigious..." people just dont know about osteopathic medicine. I consider myself lucky because i am way way past all this MD/DO nonsense, as are the actual physicians that are working. However, i heard that it is very uncommon for all premeds to go through a phase where all they ask are these types of question, so i am not ragging on you. However, what I do ask from you is to never make inferences , always do the research, and that is what you have failed to do :)

I have been a long time reader of the DO forum here at SDN and i am totally convinced (based on experience with my own family physician, a D.O.) that osteopathic physicians are just as capable, competent, caring etc. as any MD. The thing that bugs me though is this: take a look at the job ads in the back of Science (the preeminent scientific journal) and you will find that 99% of scientifc jobs listed there indicate that they are looking for a scientist with an MD or PhD or MD/PhD to fill such and such academic position at such and such university. Why exclude DOs? Is the training at DO schools less scientifically rigorous or what? I am NOT trying to start a flame war here, just pointing out an observation. Does this offend any DO students, especially those potentially interrested in a career as a faculty member at an academic medical center?

why do people always get offended if someone asked about MD vs. DO? i mean i'm a DO student and did i want to go to MD school: YES, do i think DO are less than MD: NO, Do i agree with DO philosophy: YES (and i think almost all doctor, MD,DO,DPM,DDS,DC,OD does also)
Why is it wrong that someone prefer to have M.D. behind their name instead of D.O.? i mean i didn't even know DO existed until after i'm in a graduate program and i'm sure a lot of other students are just like i was. Does wanting to go to an MD school (as a first choice) make you a bad DO student?????

wow, another beating to this dead horse?

i hear ya crazed medic!!!

Actually guys, RNA raised an interesting point that hasn't yet been "beaten to death." Are DO's discriminated against when it's time to find a job?

Originally posted by prolixless:
•Surprisingly, I actually never get tired of these MD versus DO debates. I think I learn something new every time they pop up. However, I agree that Eduaro's questions have indeed been beaten to death on SDN.

I applaud your attitude prolixless. Everyone who faces this decision needs to learn, and this continues to be a fine place to do it. I found this site very helpful thanks to those willing to voice their opinions, and although I still chose the MD route, I have learned a great deal.

To the original poster: doing a search would still be a good idea, but if one thing is made certain by the ubiquity of such posts is that DO's will need to do a good deal of explaining to patients and co-workers regarding parity, quality, philosophy for quite awhile to come.

To the irritated ones: I completely understand that explaining over and over can be like sand in your swimsuit, but I hope that you (as in all who respond constructively to these threads) can continue to find it in yourselves to be as open, friendly and honest.

Quote from Peregrin
"To the original poster: doing a search would still be a good idea, but if one thing is made certain by the ubiquity of such posts is that DO's will need to do a good deal of explaining to patients and co-workers regarding parity, quality, philosophy for quite awhile to come. "

I have to say you are wrong!! It depends on location. Here in Michigan there are as many, if not more D.O.'s than M.D.'s, even in specialties. We are the #1 D.O. state. Here in Michigan, nobody ever questions the competency of a D.O., not M.D.'s or patients. There are many M.D. and D.O. physicians that are partners in family and specialty practices together here. So, It depends ALOT on locastion as to your recognition as a D.O.

BTW, if you check out this same thread on the pre-allopathic forum it got a much different response. They thought I was quite rude for suggesting that the poster do a search before repeating topics. below was what I had to say over there just FYI

Posted by me in response to this in pre-allopathic.....
"
A thread went through with the exact same title about than a week ago. I doubt people have changed that much since then. I do not want to deter anyone from posting, I just think that it would be nice for people to search a bit for topics that have been discussed RECENTLY. like I said, does the exact same topic really need to be posted twice within a weeks time? C'mon, opinions will change and topics can be repeated, but IN GOOD TIME, not within a week.:"

:)

In defense of our new friend, when a person first signs on, they don't necessarily understand the interface nor do they even consider searching through past threads for their info. They have a question and would like to discuss it with their "colleagues." You, however, rip him to shreds. Thank you for endeavoring to represent the profession well (now THAT is dripping with sarcasm).

It is true that in some areas DOs have a less competetive advantage, but it usually pertains to the residency, not the title. Employers cannot discriminate on the basis of the title, because they are equal. They can, however, evaluate your training. A lot of executive boards, in some places still made up of MDs, will only consider a DO applicant with an MD residency. This is NOT because the MD residencies are better. DO residencies are merely inconsistent. In some places they are excellent; in others, they are rather lacking. Most MD residencies are fairly equal. By only selecting applicants with MD residencies, the board can ensure consistency (NOT superiorty) in their hiring practices. This information comes to me by the executive director of the board at a clinic I worked at for 3 years.

That being said, DOs can choose to apply for DO and MD residencies, depending on their eventual goal. If you choose to practice in an area that is predominantly DO, like Michigan or Missouri, then you will have an advantage with a DO residency. However, if you wish to practice in an MD area, such as Texas or Washington, you will be more successful in obtaining gainful employment with an MD residency. Nice to have this flexibility that an MD doesn't afford you!

[/QUOTE]They can, however, evaluate your training. A lot of executive boards, in some places still made up of MDs, will only consider a DO applicant with an MD residency. This is NOT because the MD residencies are better. DO residencies are merely inconsistent. In some places they are excellent; in others, they are rather lacking. Most MD residencies are fairly equal. By only selecting applicants with MD residencies, the board can ensure consistency (NOT superiorty) in their hiring practices.

Excellent information, John, thanks. Although I am in the midst of applying to med school, I have been having an ongoing debate with my wife recently as far as the benefits of an ACGME residency vs AOA residency post DO school. I am interested in an ER residency and although there is an AOA ER residency nearby (which would prevent our having to sell the house and move out of state)I feel an ACGME residency would be a "better" choice for my career. Her response has been, "How would it make it better?" and I think your post is one example of how it would be better.

The other point regarding ACGME vs AOA residencies in any sub-specialty is that many of the ACGME residencies are based out of hospitals that are well known to potential employers. This can be an added attraction when a potential employer is sifting through resumes. This is not to say that all AOA residencies are in rinky-dink, no name hospitals. That is obviosuly not the case. Its just that many of the big hospitals that have a reputation for great training are ACGME hospitals.

CVPA...are you talking about the Mt. Sinai EM residency out of Miami Beach?? It's not that bad of a program. I've also heard from a friend of mine who is also a M3 and interested in EM that a couple of the graduating residents signed contracts in excess of 300k...so what the heck are you complaining about?

Originally posted by Medic171:
•Quote from Peregrin
"To the original poster: doing a search would still be a good idea, but if one thing is made certain by the ubiquity of such posts is that DO's will need to do a good deal of explaining to patients and co-workers regarding parity, quality, philosophy for quite awhile to come. "

I have to say you are wrong!! It depends on location. Here in Michigan there are as many, if not more D.O.'s than M.D.'s, even in specialties. We are the #1 D.O. state. Here in Michigan, nobody ever questions the competency of a D.O., not M.D.'s or patients. There are many M.D. and D.O. physicians that are partners in family and specialty practices together here. So, It depends ALOT on locastion as to your recognition as a D.O.

I still say that the many many threads discussing this point to the fact that generally speaking DO's will have to do a great deal more explaining. Yes, for DO's Michigan is a special place with MSU being the primary reason (I think that more people know about their DO school than their MD school). I agree with you on many of your points. I have lived in Michigan all of my life and many of the things you say are true, but even in DO heaven, many people still don't understand what they are and there is still a bias against them by MD's and patients in some places, though perhaps not as noticeable as in other states. People still hear about the bias, the lower GPA and MCAT average, the lower board pass rate etc... Although I am glad that your experience has been different, I still think that DO's have a good distance to go before people understand what makes them special/equal/different etc...

Kundun:

I'm not complaining at all, its just what I heard from a good friend who graduated from NSU-COM and did his residency at Cook County's EM program. I am very happy to hear that you heard to the contrary. I would love nothing more than to have a good EM residency nearby and not have to move.

Do you have any specific info about the program other than what I have read on the Mt. Sinai website?

I am not sure that my info would necessarily apply to ER. Even in the area that I received that info, DOs had no trouble in ER, only in practice.

Michigan must be a Garden of Eden!!! When I think of heaven...Detroit, Kalamazoo, Lansing all come to mind!

I would not call Lansing Heaven, but Sparrow is level1 trauma. The residents are busy enough to get a great experience, but slow enough to keep them sane. Also, the e.r. residents work(get this!!) Only 5 10 HOUR DAYS PER WEEK!@!!! :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: