MDSSP National Guard-Pay after Graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mduff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm starting Dental School this fall, and I'm trying to figure out the details of the National Guard MDSSP program, they have very limited info. on the NG website. It seems you receive a stipend of around $2,000/month during school, but it is unclear to me how much you make after graduation. Does anyone know?

Upon graduation do you only receive like $300/month for drill pay? Or is the drill pay only part of your monthly income from the National Guard.

I would love any info anyone has about this! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm starting Dental School this fall, and I'm trying to figure out the details of the National Guard MDSSP program, they have very limited info. on the NG website. It seems you receive a stipend of around $2,000/month during school, but it is unclear to me how much you make after graduation. Does anyone know?

Upon graduation do you only receive like $300/month for drill pay? Or is the drill pay only part of your monthly income from the National Guard.

I would love any info anyone has about this! Thanks!

According to this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=783907

Teeth63A(the only National Guard dentists that posts) says the program has gone away.

What he is referring to is the Student Recruiter program, that is a different program than the MDSSP (Medical and Dental Student Stipend Program). The Student Recruiter program may be gone but the MDSSP is definitely still around. You can read about the MDSSP on the National Guard website.

http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/medical-professional-officer/healthcare-bonuses-and-loans

Here is what their website says about it:

"Medical and Dental Student Stipend Program (MDSSP)

The Medical and Dental Student Stipend Program (MDSSP) is an incentive based program targeted to medical and dental students. This program will offer medical and dental students a monthly stipend of at least $2,060. In return, each participant will incur a one-year service obligation for every six months (or part thereof) for which they receive the stipend."

I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the pay is after graduation.

I e-mailed the National Guard, and this is the answer they gave me in case anyone is interested:

"As a dental student, you can take advantage of the Medical and Dental Student Stipend Program, and it does require further obligation. MDSSP obligors incur and obligation of one year for every six months for which they receive the stipend. This obligation period will be satisfied immediately following dental school completion. The monthly stipend is $2,060.00. Not sure why it is stated like it is, unless NGB decides to increase the amount. Dental Corps officers who received MDSSP may sign a Health Professional Loan Repayment (HLR) contact. In order to meet eh HPLR eligibility requirements, a MDSSP recipient must agree to extend their MDSSP obligation for the period they are receiving the HPLR(3 years). The HPLR pays $120,000.00 with $40,000.00 being paid annually for three years. On you initial 3 year contract you will also receive $75,000.00 for three years, paying $25,000.00 per year.
As a dental student you will come in under a direct commission as a Second Lieutenant and after completing dental school and receiving your certification you are promoted to Fist Lieutenant. Approximately 6 months after that you will be promoted to Captain. All that may vary a bit, depending on the state. As a Second Lieutenant your drill pay is around $380.00 for a weekend drill. Of course as you go up in rank and time in service, your pay will also increase. As a Captain your pay varies from $500.00 to $900.00 depending on time in service. Also, if you are deployed, you will receive full military pay and benefits. The actual pay scale is on our web site at www.nationalguard.com "