MDSSP / STRAP / HPLRP and my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But here's the hitch: the MDSSP converting to 1:1 payable during residency assumes you take STRAP immediately after MDSSP. This is why the language of J.2 in the incentives document mentions:
When an MDSSP participant enters a subsequent agreement under STRAP to complete a training program on the current Critical Wartime Shortage List...

i think your assessment is spot on. but here's the kicker that might require more clarification from the bosses. i mostly read it as you do: MDSSP student has to enter a subsequent agreement with STRAP after graduation. however, perhaps its just semantics, but i don't think a 'subsequent agreement' is synonymous with taking the actual incentive. on the phone today, i was told to "make it clear to your recruiter that you will only be taking STRAP benefits during PGY3 and PGY4 years when you sign up". in other words, as far as i understand, i am signing an agreement immediately after graduation...but postponing the incentive.

in any case, youre absolutely correct in saying that I should get everything down in writing. i'm sure i'll have more conversations with them this week..

Members don't see this ad.

Good stuff. Let us know if you get them to contract it. I'll be curious. Good luck...

i think your assessment is spot on. but here's the kicker that might require more clarification from the bosses. i mostly read it as you do: MDSSP student has to enter a subsequent agreement with STRAP after graduation. however, perhaps its just semantics, but i don't think a 'subsequent agreement' is synonymous with taking the actual incentive. on the phone today, i was told to "make it clear to your recruiter that you will only be taking STRAP benefits during PGY3 and PGY4 years when you sign up". in other words, as far as i understand, i am signing an agreement immediately after graduation...but postponing the incentive.

in any case, youre absolutely correct in saying that I should get everything down in writing. i'm sure i'll have more conversations with them this week..

I'd be curious to know what the result of your conversation with your recruiter is, too. Please let us know!

Members don't see this ad :)
This was fascinating to read. I have been struggling with the thought of paying for medical school also.

The article below is a great opportunity, if you can get into it.
http://www.army.mil/article/140219

My situation favors the HPLRP. I already have eight years of active duty time. The GI Bill pays for school, I cover the rest with loans, and drill a few more years to pay them back.

My situation favors the HPLRP. I already have eight years of active duty time. The GI Bill pays for school, I cover the rest with loans, and drill a few more years to pay them back.
Yep, it's handy. And with your previous service, if you don't care for your time in the Guard/Reserve, you can walk away at any time...