me --> MPH; my mom --> nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashylips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, my mom has just ambushed me and put the pressure to go into nursing. she is quite the advocate for it as i have just realized.

her reasons:
-i don't know any smart kids going into public health; how come no one wants to go into it?
-why don't more people go into public health?
-nursing is more practical
-you'll just be finished in 2 years without a job

it was futile to try to explain. what would you say to this? in all honesty, what are the career aspects when you're done?

Members don't see this ad.

ashylips said:
so, my mom has just ambushed me and put the pressure to go into nursing. she is quite the advocate for it as i have just realized.

her reasons:
-i don't know any smart kids going into public health; how come no one wants to go into it?
-why don't more people go into public health?
-nursing is more practical
-you'll just be finished in 2 years without a job

it was futile to try to explain. what would you say to this? in all honesty, what are the career aspects when you're done?

Go to www.uic.edu/sph. There are a number of departments in the School, each with websites with good answers to the questions above. I would only add one thing. Nursing is a vocation. It can be difficult and thankless work, intimately caring for people in need. While those who practice it very often love it and could think of doing nothing else, it is not to be entered into lightly. Not that public health is, but the wide diversity in public health gives you better odds of finding a "fit", and doesn't usually require the personal emotional commitment nursing does.

- H

There are also nursing/MPH programs. In two years you get the nursing degree and an MPH. Nurses are in HIGH demand and make more money than an MPH alone. Plus, you're more competitive for the MPH jobs. It is a vocation but employers WANT you...You can always do community health nursing, more public health oriented, less of the work that makes nursing so trying.

I MUST go do some work now... ;)

FoughtFyr said:
Go to www.uic.edu/sph. There are a number of departments in the School, each with websites with good answers to the questions above. I would only add one thing. Nursing is a vocation. It can be difficult and thankless work, intimately caring for people in need. While those who practice it very often love it and could think of doing nothing else, it is not to be entered into lightly. Not that public health is, but the wide diversity in public health gives you better odds of finding a "fit", and doesn't usually require the personal emotional commitment nursing does.

- H

Nursing CAN be a cush 40hr/week 90K/year gig. It can also be hell on earth. Regardless it has to be one of the most flexible, solid jobs in the free world and Im not exaggerating, its up there with Trauma surgery and firefighting in my book.