Mean GPA/MCAT for applicants versus matriculants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the MSAR, certain schools show both,
MEAN GPA applicants
Mean GPA matriculants (which is obviously always higher than applicants)
Which is the one i should consider, when looking at my stats versus the school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

matriculants, since those were the people accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
UGH

Amazon.com says the new MSAR will be shipped out in 3-4 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! This is the 2003-2004 edition. I have a 2001-2002 edition..will this be recent enough for me to choose schools I'm looking at, or not!? I dont want to wait 3-4 weeks to send in my primary! help!

blitzkrieg

no, they are not the same.

Some of the schools I looked into have had a change in stats. How did I find out? I have an old MSAR also, and finally got a friend's new version where I noticed the discrepancy after cross-referencing the stuff.

It shouldn't have changed by "much" according to a few people, yet I have seen enough differences to know that having the new book may help more.

Why don't you check out your local library and see if they have a new one?
Tweetie

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Blitzkrieg:
•UGH

Amazon.com says the new MSAR will be shipped out in 3-4 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! This is the 2003-2004 edition. I have a 2001-2002 edition..will this be recent enough for me to choose schools I'm looking at, or not!? I dont want to wait 3-4 weeks to send in my primary! help!

blitzkrieg•••••Blitzkreig,
I ordered the 2003-2004 MSAR from AAMC on Sunday night, and it arrived at mi casa yesterday afternoon. It was probably more expensive, maybe way more expensive, than it would be from Amazon.com, but it's an option, if you dont want to wait 3-4 weeks. Buena suerte!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•In the MSAR, certain schools show both,
MEAN GPA applicants
Mean GPA matriculants (which is obviously always higher than applicants)
Which is the one i should consider, when looking at my stats versus the school?

Thanks•••••a few schools report the mean gpa of those accepted. i've heard some schools artificially inflate this gpa by accepting really high gpa people they know will never matriculate there. i could be just perpetuating a rumor, but i did notice this wording in a few schools' descriptions in the MSAR.

I've got the 2002-3 if anyone has questions about any particular schools. Likewise, if anyone has the 2003-4, let me/us know.

Bikini Princess- If you don't mind, what are the stats listed in MSAR for LSU- New Orleans? Is their GPA calculated by those accepted or matriculated? Thanks!!!

I don't mean to step on Bikini Princess's toes, but I know I like quick replies so:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by applicant2003:
•LSU- New Orleans? •••••"The Admissions Committee will evaluate all applicants who are residents of the state of Louisiana using any or all of several criteria. Some of these are: academic factors such as grades and test scores, (average GPA was 3.6; average MCAT was 9.2), strength of the letters of recommendation, ..."

I typed all that because I wanted to convey the ambiguity of their statement. LSU doesn't specify where those averages come from, whether applicants, matriculants, accepted...

Thanks Pocwana! LSU's website is rather ambiguous on where the numbers come from also, that is why I wondered. All the sites on med school GPA/MCAT that I've seen listed LSU's mean GPA as 3.4 and MCAT as 8.3. But LSU's website reports the same numbers you have. Perhaps they are calculated differently.

Oh crap! I chose my school based on the 2001-2002 edition...is that going to seriously mess me up?

I am making up a new thread for those that don't have these resources. Bikini and others, please start posting replies on there. I'll name it "Official School Applicants/Matriculants MCAT/GPA thread"

Tweetie

•••quote:•••Originally posted by PrincessCKNY:
•Oh crap! I chose my school based on the 2001-2002 edition...is that going to seriously mess me up?•••••I wouldn't worry about it. Stats aren't likely to change all that much in such a short period of time. And as always, they're just AVERAGES, so while they may be "reasonable" predictors of where you have a chance, there are by definition always matriculants who have numbers significantly higher and significantly lower than the average numbers listed in the MSAR.

tenks pocwana

ordered